Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2005, 05:03 PM

Default Is Poker considered an addiction In terms of gambling

I know this belongs in another thread but this forum seems to have the most inteligent discussions. If you make a living playing cards and you are succesful at it, is it considered gambling. I know I'm guilty of (feening to play) after a few weeks away from playing. For someone with an addictive personality would this be a healthy way to spend your time?
Old 08-11-2005, 05:10 PM

Default Re: Is Poker considered an addiction In terms of gambling

I used to put in 70 hour weeks when I ran my own company. What's changed is that now a good portion of those hours have to do with poker. I don't consider myself as someone with a gambling problem. Just a work-aholic.

If I was losing money instead of making it, I'm sure I'd feel differently.
Old 08-11-2005, 05:15 PM

I feel like you becuase I make money at it its work to me. But what job do u risk your own money at, or have such emotional swings at. What job do you choose to do instead of say going to the movies with a friend or what not. For me for an example poker trumps many things from family functions to business meetings. If I am stuck a lot it is hard for me to leave the table.
Old 08-11-2005, 05:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What job do you choose to do instead of say going to the movies with a friend or what not. For me for an example poker trumps many things from family functions to business meetings. If I am stuck a lot it is hard for me to leave the table.

[/ QUOTE ]

When gambling effects your personal life, financial security, and/or business/job then you have a gambling problem.

Around 4% of people exposed to gambling will develope a problem, for the rest it is entertainment or a way to make money.
Old 08-11-2005, 05:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What job do you choose to do instead of say going to the movies with a friend or what not. For me for an example poker trumps many things from family functions to business meetings. If I am stuck a lot it is hard for me to leave the table.

[/ QUOTE ]

When gambling effects your personal life, financial security, and/or business/job then you have a gambling problem.

Around 4% of people exposed to gambling will develope a problem, for the rest it is entertainment or a way to make money.

[/ QUOTE ]

interesting statistic. where'd ya get it? id love to see the selection method, the definition of "problem" and other things behind such a statistic.

my gut tells me that its an understimate, the definition of "problem" is prohibitively exclusive.

-Barron
Old 08-11-2005, 05:42 PM

Hey, there are many jobs where you take such risks.

When I started my company, I had a wife and kid on the way. It was much MORE risky to go out on my own than anything I've ever done in poker. I put up my own capital, poured sweat and soul into it, and wasn't guaranteed to make a dime. In fact, there was more chance of going bust than in a poker game.

I've been in sales my whole life. Like poker, sales can be a numbers game. I was never guaranteed to make what I needed to make.

Then there are those who trade for a living. Financials, liquidations, etc. They are not guaranteed to profit and in fact can LOSE money from their endeavors.

Farmers are not guaranteed to profit from their work as well, etc. etc. etc.

Life is risk. As a general rule, the more you risk, the more you have to gain (if you are smart about it).

Factory workers have little risk. They go to work, punch a clock, go home, and collect a guaranteed paycheck at the end of the week. It's secure, but they'll be hard pressed to do much better.

Salespeople go out and ply their trade. They might not make the nut every month, but if they are successful, they'll generally make considerably more than the factory worker.

Entrepreneurs risk even more. They can actually lose important sums of money, but the upside is usually well ahead of the factory or salesperson.

Anyway, this is all a long way of saying that poker (to me), is just another form of a risk inherent job. Not much different than what I've been doing my whole life anyway.
Old 08-11-2005, 05:43 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

4% sounds really low
Old 08-11-2005, 05:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Just like when _you have an unexpected lay over on the way home from a business trip and you wind up missing your mother-in-law's birthday party_, you have a problem?

Things other than gambling can effect your life, dude. My wife was always griping about my work getting in the way of personal things. I'm sure that's why we're divorced now -lol

But seriously... Anyone successful has a hard time not making sacrifices when it comes to their personal life. Although I will admit the TRULY successful people have found a way to do this. But none of this has to do with gambling. Or I should say, it can come from things other than gambling as well.
Old 08-11-2005, 05:50 PM

It's not addictive if you can stop whenever you want.
Old 08-11-2005, 06:10 PM

Yes, I have no idea what the criteria are for fitting into the "problem classification".

I have heard the number 3-5% for a long time. Not sure where it comes from.