Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2005, 01:27 PM

Default pet peeve rant - \'I put you all in\'

Just venting..

I hate when people say 'I put you all in' or something to that effect. You can't put me all in, you can only put yourself all in! I also hate when someone bets exactly as much as you have. That happens more online since in B&M you can't always get an exact count.

Anyway.. I was playing a b&m tourny yesterday. I go heads up in to the flop with an older guy in a wheelchair. After the flop hits he announces 'Im all in'. Then he looks over at me says.. 'Whats he got.. about 2000?' and puts 2 1k chips in front of his cards. I turn to the dealer (I happen to be in seat 1) and say 'Is he all in or is he betting 2000?'. A couple of table captains immediately jump in and start berrating me saying it doesn't matter. I continue to talk only to the dealer and say 'How many chips I have doesn't matter, he has to bet an amount.'. The dealer says 'He is all in.'. One of the table captains says to the old man 'He wants you to put all your chips in' and he angrily does saying 'what difference does it make?!'.

Anyway, once he puts all his chips in I think for a moment and muck my hand. The old guy pulls the pot and announces 'Too much poker on TV.. Thats the problem.' My reply is 'Sorry I wasn't born before television.'.

Yes, thats right, talking [censored] to and old guy in a wheelchair. It was a proud moment for me. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

Of course I was an [censored], but I /really/ hate this little betting ploy. BTW - I made nice with the old guy later, I'm not actually a horrible person.
Old 07-13-2005, 01:36 PM

Default Re: pet peeve rant - \'I put you all in\'

In situations where it truly doesn't matter, I don't have a problem with it.

It's quicker to say "I put you all in" (which, as you pointed out, isn't literal) than to ask for a chip count and then declare that amount as the bet. Presumeably, you know how much you have, and thus you (the only person that matters at this point) know exactly how much the bet you would need to call is.

In this particular case, the old guy did both (thus not saving any time), so it's kind of lame. Overall, though, it's not a big deal.

Online, it's a no-win. For every person like you who doesn't like someone betting exactly what the opponent has when heads up, there's another who gets upset when the player with more chips pushes all in when they could have just bet what the other guy had.
Old 07-13-2005, 01:56 PM

I prefer to push in my obviously much larger chip stack and then ask if I have the other guy covered. It's a real crowd-pleaser.
Old 07-13-2005, 01:59 PM

LMAO [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 07-13-2005, 02:03 PM

Try betting .01 less than the other person has online... That really upsets people.
Old 07-13-2005, 02:15 PM

I actually bet exactly what people have left all the time, usually when I have what I think is the winner, because it seems like such a dig. Now, I'm not saying that the old man was doing this, but if you were playing me, you would almost certainly see me do this to someone.

It's a great betting move, and an effective tool...especially if you want a call.
Old 07-13-2005, 03:34 PM

i know one guy that says, "i ca' you ah' in." man that drives me NUTS! at least he doesn't "call and raise" like some like to do..i played against some old dude who kept string betting, he did not understand the concept and saw nothing wrong with it, he would nod and say "i call and put you all in." sigh...frustrating yes, unfortunately not much you can do about it.
Old 07-13-2005, 03:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I also hate when someone bets exactly as much as you have. That happens more online since in B&M you can't always get an exact count.

[/ QUOTE ]

You sound like someone who is super easy to put on tilt.
Old 07-13-2005, 03:41 PM

Well, I think I do have a problem with that, but.. In thise case note that I did fold, which I'm sure was the right thing to do. So he pissed me off, but he didn't succeed in having it change my decision.
Old 07-13-2005, 03:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes, thats right, talking [censored] to and old guy in a wheelchair. It was a proud moment for me. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Big deal, you did something to a guy in a wheelchair that would have been perfectly acceptable to do to someone who wasn't. Did you do it because he was in a wheelchair? No - so it doesn't matter.

Some people gave me a bunch of crap in Vegas once because I showed a bluff to a deaf guy who waved his hand at me as if to say, "Pathetic." I had been watching him read lips for a while, so I looked directly at him and said, "Shut up, it worked." He knew exactly what I said and laughed and rapped the table. Still, some people gave me looks and one said, "come on, he's deaf." I didn't do it because I was deaf.

Insulting a handicapped person for a reason other than their handicap is no more "egregious" than insulting a non-handicapped person.

-Tripp