Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2005, 01:35 PM

Default Re: veganism

You of all peopel should know that it's so much more likely that I just can't type.
Old 10-26-2005, 01:45 PM

Tron:

"Meat is the reason we aren't monkeys."

I haven't read all the posts, so this could be a duplicate.

Chimps are monkeys and they do eat meat.
Old 10-26-2005, 02:08 PM

Actually, I am reading a book on vegetarianism right now. If I made the jump, I'd go ovo-lacto, because no way in freakin' hell am I giving up Ben & Jerry's.

The author makes the observation that a new vegan/vegetarian can expect to weather a good deal of questioning, criticism, and even hostility, but she also points out that it's also not helpful for the new veg to go out of their own way to be an [censored] about their beliefs (i.e., being evangelically anti-meat or going to a traditional Thanksgiving just to whine about the poor turkey). Just live your own life.

All that said, I [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] the following from the mighty Denis Leary: "Broccoli tastes like broccoli, but meat tastes like murder. And murder tastes pretty goddamn good."
Old 10-26-2005, 02:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Chimps are monkeys and they do eat meat.

[/ QUOTE ]

Chimps are apes, not monkeys.

P.S. Although some dictionaries say ape and monkey are synonyms.
Old 10-26-2005, 03:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know where people are seeing these "sickly" vegans, but here in New York they look like everyone else (except it is hard to find a really fat vegan).

[/ QUOTE ]

There are vegans, especially young ones, who think that a diet that doesn't include meat or animal products is automatically a good diet. And so, their diet consists of potato chips and soft drinks and non-milk chocolate candy (sugar is a vegetable) and other items of vegan junk food. I know a dietician who goes nuts about this view of veganism. A vegan junk food diet will put on the pounds just as surely as a non-vegan junk food diet.

In any case, why is it anyone's business what other people eat or don't eat? People are responsible for the diet of their minor children. Otherwise, MYOB.
Old 10-26-2005, 03:57 PM

My teacher is a true vegan. She is all about vegan, and she reminds us every day about veganism. I find it annoying. So I have taken it apon myself to argue veganism with her.

One of her reasons she claims for becoming vegan is that the american meat industry is so cruel to animals-Cows in particular. She says slaughter houses are very cruel to cows, and it is all about money.

She also gave me a list of vegans.

"I should also point out that some of the greatest minds in human history were vegetarian or vegan: Albert Schweitzer, Albert Einstein, Benjamin Spock, Caretta Scott King, Carl Lewis, Charles Darwin (fancy that), Dr. John Harvey Kellogg, Epicurus, George Bernard Shaw, H.G. Wells, Henry Hiemlich, Henry Ford, Henry David Thoreau, Howard Lyman, Isaac Bashevis Singer, Jean Jacques Rousseau, John Robbins, Leonardo da Vinci, Louisa May Alcott, Mohandas Ghandi, Plutarch, Pythagoras, Ralph Waldo Emerson, Scott Adams, Sir Isaac Newton, St. Frances of Assisi, Steve Jobs, Susan B. Anthony, Upton Sinclair, Vincent Van Gogh. There are more."
Old 10-26-2005, 04:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My teacher is a true vegan. She is all about vegan, and she reminds us every day about veganism. I find it annoying. So I have taken it apon myself to argue veganism with her.

One of her reasons she claims for becoming vegan is that the american meat industry is so cruel to animals-Cows in particular. She says slaughter houses are very cruel to cows, and it is all about money.

"I should also point out that some of the greatest minds in human history were vegetarian or vegan: Albert Schweitzer, Albert Einstein, Benjamin Spock, Caretta Scott King, Carl Lewis, Charles Darwin (fancy that), Dr. John Harvey Kellogg, Epicurus, George Bernard Shaw, H.G. Wells, Henry Hiemlich, Henry Ford, Henry David Thoreau, Howard Lyman, Isaac Bashevis Singer, Jean Jacques Rousseau, John Robbins, Leonardo da Vinci, Louisa May Alcott, Mohandas Ghandi, Plutarch, Pythagoras, Ralph Waldo Emerson, Scott Adams, Sir Isaac Newton, St. Frances of Assisi, Steve Jobs, Susan B. Anthony, Upton Sinclair, Vincent Van Gogh. There are more."

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you should try to argue with her that her approach of shoving veganism down people's throat is wrong, rather than try to argue that there is something wrong with being vegan.
Old 10-26-2005, 04:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Where do you get Darwin was a vegetarian?
The rest could be. I just know Darwin in this regard. He had health problems and his doctor put him on all kind of crazy diets. I know as of the late 1860's he definitely was still eating meat. And he was a proponent of animal research until he died, random internet quotes notwithstanding.
Old 10-26-2005, 04:04 PM

That Carl Lewis was one hell of a great thinker.
Old 10-26-2005, 04:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That Carl Lewis was one hell of a great thinker.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nahh it just shows the power of steroids... We don't need no steenking complete proteins.