Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-09-2004, 07:30 PM

Default 20-40...Would You Ever Check This River?

20-40 at the Taj. I have J10o in the cutoff. 3 players limp, I limp and the button raises. The SB folds, BB calls. All others call. 6 players for 2 bets each. Flop comes 8-9-3, no suits. Check to me, I check (I don't want to bet and get raised, shutting others out). Surprisingly the button also checks. The turn is an offsuit queen to give me the straight. Check to me, I bet. The button calls. Now the BB checkraises. Folded back to me and I make it 120. The button seems confused (not an act) and coldcalls the 80. The BB just calls. The river is another 8 to pair the board. BB now checks. I have the button to act behind me and, with the BB not capping the turn...it's tough to put him on the straight. More likely a set. Of course he could have some other BS. But my question is...would u ever check in this spot? Or is this a clear situation where your hand is too good to check?

Thanks,
Jeff
Old 03-09-2004, 07:41 PM

Default Re: 20-40...Would You Ever Check This River?

i would fold preflop.
i would bet the flop.
turn is fine obviously (although i suspect you didn't make it 90)
i would bet the river and call a raise.
Old 03-09-2004, 07:44 PM

"I have the button to act behind me and, with the BB not capping the turn...it's tough to put him on the straight. More likely a set."

The bb checked the flop and the turn into five players and you want to give him a set. You are nice. The button checked the flop and then just called your intial turn bet. All signs point to an easy river bet.
Old 03-09-2004, 07:52 PM

What does the BB have when he calls my turn 3-bet? Just a Queen? I kind of doubt it with the other guy calling. The guy may be a bit loose but I felt like he played a good hand strangely. If he would only checkraise the turn with two pair or a set, I'm in big trouble save for Q9. I just doubt he'd call a 3-bet with a queen only if he decided to check a queen twice which is also bizarre. And if he has the same str8, why not cap it? I'm not doubting you. In fact, I bet it...pretty much automatically. I'm just trying to analyze in hindsight if it's correct in this particular spot.

Jeff
Old 03-09-2004, 07:55 PM

AJo Go all in NAILed it.

after reading your post i was wondering why it didn't stop after the 2nd sentance...3 limpers jto, fold! end of story...but there was more so i had to read on.

flop check is close...reasons to check: maximize pot odds on draw assuming button bets all call, also option to c-r buttons bet and gaggle of callers, or take a freebee to hit if he checks.

reasons to bet: disguise your hand if you make it. get button to HELP you eliminate other players so your j or t can win without the straight (its like raising KdQd on Td7h3d flop...although you can just call to maximize pot odds youd like to win if your k or q hits too and best way to do that is raise and limit field.)

that being said its a close call so check is good because it also allows you the option to checkraise if its bet and called around, which can be pretty valuable.

turn plays itself. sounds like bb had q9 or some junk he wanted to c-r the button with on the flop. or he could just have just the queen but then why call a 40 reraise back...who knows? q8 is definately possible along with 98 for same reason as above (wanted to c-r button on flop).

river pairs board, dangerous but i think still worth a bet and a call if popped back. you got a 'confused' button who'll likely call your bet, maybe not the raise but at least his dead $$ will be there.

so...fold preflop!! at least i would no question, and i know others would agree here.

no fold, ok. close call but good check on flop.

turn plays itself.

bet river and call one back.

-Barron
Old 03-09-2004, 07:57 PM

Jeff,

[ QUOTE ]
But my question is...would u ever check in this spot? Or is this a clear situation where your hand is too good to check?

[/ QUOTE ]

If the BB filled up on the river I would expect him to bet out (I know that he went for a check-raise on the turn but, in that situation, if no one else bet the PFR almost surely should). Given the button's action so far, it's highly unlikely that he's a threat. Hence, I think that you have a bet here.

-- Manzanita
Old 03-09-2004, 08:15 PM

Jeff,

My guess is that the BB has AQ. With this hand a check-raise on the turn isn't a bad play. Given the size of the pot I can see him calling your 3-bet with this hand. And if the BB is really loose-aggressive, he may even be playing KQ, QJ, or even QT.

-- Manzanita
Old 03-09-2004, 08:17 PM

Barring extenuating circumstances, I'm sure playing JTo in the CO against 4.5 opponents is +EV.

Flop and turn play are fine, I'd never check the river.
Old 03-09-2004, 08:29 PM

I thought *I* was tight, but I'd have no problem playing JTo in LP with 3 limpers in front. When *would* you guys play JTo, if not in this situation?
Old 03-09-2004, 08:30 PM

I used to check some/bet some here. Sometimes I'd guess right, sometimes I'd guess wrong. Now I just bet and payoff and I'm happy with that.