Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-22-2003, 03:14 PM

Default Two J9 hands -- Hand #1

So... I was flying from Cali to the East Coast and due to delays got laid over for a night in Chicago. So, instead of sleeping I decided to go to Harrah's East Chicago for a few hours and check out the games. I started out in a soft 10-20 (loose-passives all around except one tight guy).

The hand in question, there were 5 loose limpers to me and I checked my option in the big blind with J9o.

Flop: JT8r. I bet out, and 4 people called.

Turn: 8(JT8). I bet out, and 1 guy called. This guy was very loose, although my table image at this point was pretty itght.

River: a brick. What's your move?
Old 12-22-2003, 03:24 PM

Default Re: Two J9 hands -- Hand #1

hi haak
check-call it. he might take a stab at it but might not call if you bet. betting is o.k. too haak. really, this is a variance play.
Old 12-22-2003, 03:53 PM

I'd bet. If they never raise me, I keep betting. He could have T-9, A-T or a small pocket pair and might check behind.
Old 12-22-2003, 04:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So... I was flying from Cali to the East Coast and due to delays got laid over for a night in Chicago.

[/ QUOTE ]

At first I thought this would be a really interesting post. Then I realized it said laid over.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Bet. You said these guys are loose passive. He'll call with a ten, but won't bet it.

I doubt he'll take a stab against a tight image player with a busted nine.

If he has a Jack, it's probably a chop. If he has a better Jack than you like JQ then I doubt he'll wake up and raise on the river, but he'll bet if you check.

So, I say bet and most likely chop it.
Old 12-22-2003, 04:17 PM

I think check - call is the safe play. If he checks and you are better, you maybe lost 1 bet if he opted to call. You know he's loose but just because he's loose doesn't mean that the cards didn't hit him square in the nose and he is looking to extract multiple bets from you now.
Old 12-22-2003, 05:01 PM

Auto bet.

-Mike
Old 12-22-2003, 05:40 PM

I play at this game - it's a very good game. I would bet for value. Most of the soft 10-20 players tend toward the calling station types, you can generally tell who's a tricky player by 2 orbits...a T would call, an underpair would call (I get those calls all the time in that $10-20 game).
Old 12-22-2003, 07:41 PM

Default Amen, Brother Andy

Sure, every once-in-awhile you'll get shown a better kicker or an overpair by a pip or two, but I like players who don't raise and let me do all the betting. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

BR
Old 12-24-2003, 01:50 PM

Default Results -- Hand #1

I bet. He called. He had AJo. Not what I expected to see. I bet, expecting to be called by a T or even a small pocket pair. This result influenced my play on J9o hand #2.
Old 12-24-2003, 02:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Flop: JT8r. I bet out, and 4 people called.

Turn: 8(JT8). I bet out, and 1 guy called. This guy was very loose, although my table image at this point was pretty itght.

[/ QUOTE ]

For now I'm avoiding reading the results and other posts.

I think specifying which of the four flop callers called on the turn would help with the analysis. For example, if the turn caller was the player who acted right after you on the flop it is more likely he has a draw OR a very strong hand and less likely he was chasing with middle pair (a middle pair should fear a raise behind) OR he had a good but not great hand (a good hand would tend to raise the flop with players acting after). OTOH, if the turn caller was last to act on the flop he would be likely to raise the flop with a draw in addition to his better or even huge made hands.

In the absence of the above information, I think you should check the river against typical players, especially since you have a tight image. You might lose a few calls with middle pairs but you will snap off more bluffs. A weaker jack will tend to bet anyway. Naturally, you save money when he was slowplaying a big hand since you can't easily lay down to a raise (this is where knowing his position helps).

Regards,

Rick