Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-25-2005, 02:04 PM

Default Slaying Dragons or Tilting Windmills?

Table was actually very good, one LAG to my left and a bunch of loose passives to my right.
<ul type="square">[*]UTG is loose passive[*]MP is loose and somewhat aggressive pre-flop but slows down quickly flop/turn/river[*]CO is loose passive[*]SB is a minor LAG, he will raise/reraise pre-flop with about 50% of the deck and will bet/raise the flop with as little as a single overcard on a coordinated flop and cap the flop/turn with top pair or middle pair with a decent kicker. May be going on tilt after losing the previous hand to BB (pushed AQs with a flush and straight draw from the flop and got beaten by BB who had capped with Q2s UTG)[*]BB appears to be a LAG but I only have three hands with him. I have seen him on three hands, first he posts in CO, bets his flush draw on the flop, called a raise, called the turn then called a river bet with jack high. Folded in MP when the minor LAG raised UTG, then he raised UTG himself and capped with Q2s, raised the flop heads up with a king on the board and none of his suit, then raised/bet turn &amp; river after hitting a 2 on the turn.[/list]Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls, MP calls, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB <font color="#A500AF">(Minor LAG)</font> 3-bets</font>, BB <font color="#A500AF">(LAG?)</font> calls, UTG calls, MP folds, CO folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, SB <font color="#A500AF">(Minor LAG)</font> calls, BB <font color="#A500AF">(LAG?)</font> calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (18 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Minor LAG bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">LAG? raises</font>, UTG folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, Minor LAG calls, <font color="#CC3333">LAG? caps</font>, Hero calls, Minor LAG calls.

Turn: (15 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Minor LAG checks, <font color="#CC3333">LAG? bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Minor LAG calls, <font color="#CC3333">LAG? 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, Minor LAG calls, LAG? calls.

River: (27 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Minor LAG checks, <font color="#CC3333">LAG? bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Minor LAG folds, <font color="#CC3333">LAG? 3-bets</font>, Hero?

It is heads up, is this a value raise or have I pushed to hard already. As always any criticism of any part of the hand is more than welcome.

Vern

Standard Disclaimer: I am by no means an expert at any of this.
Old 01-25-2005, 02:15 PM

Default Re: Slaying Dragons or Tilting Windmills?

Yes, it's too much action, but I can't pick a particular spot to slow down. I might smooth call the flop and wait to pop the turn. I might not raise the turn once the flop is capped. I definitely wouldn't cap the turn, though.

Scott
Old 01-25-2005, 02:16 PM

Many lags slow down on the big bet streets without a hand, and in your limited description it seems he fits the bill, pumping draws and odd hands early and then slowing down unless he catches- which doesn't bode well for your one pair hand here. But its too early to tell based on 3 hands.

Anyway, I'd tend to call the river bet with the flush and 4 parts to a straight on board after you capped the turn with a shot at an overcall from the minor lag and no exposure to a 3-bet, although you were there and it could certainly be reasonable to raise against some guys. But I'm pretty sure I wouldn't cap after he 3-bets.

I would play the flop and turn the same given the possible draws and the fact that your turn cap closes the action and this guy doesn't seem to be the type to check-raise (i.e. you can just call a river bet if he leads)
Old 01-25-2005, 02:17 PM

Welcome to 6 max Vern!

Are you really prepared to cap all streets with a player against whom you have had 3 hands here?

I would probably slow down after the turn 3 bet myself. Sure this guy looks nutty, but I'm just not convinced hes going to play this way with no better than a pair based only a few hands.

Nice post title.
Old 01-25-2005, 02:24 PM

IMO, going more than one bet on this river is nutty even against the laggyist lag in all of lagdom. All you have is an overpair, with a 3 flush and 4 str8 on the board. With only 3 hands seen against the guy, I probably also stop at 3 bets on this turn against all but the looniest opponents.
Old 01-25-2005, 02:36 PM

Thanks, I have been in SH before, but I like to hop around between full ring and SH. 1/2 6(max) 4 tabling is the fastest way to work off a bonus, getting ~250raked hands/hr is decent. I think I agree with the assessment that I pushed this too hard on the turn and river, I just wanted some validation of that opinion. The LAG to my left was easy to play with, not a maniac, but predicitably overagressive. With only 3 hands I think I should have at least been more cautious even if the first couple of hands from the new player seemed sloppy. Thanks everyone.

Vern
Old 01-25-2005, 02:58 PM

Based on the info given in the reads...i would have capped turn as well. At that point you have made it pretty well known that you like your hand, you think it is strong, you have charged all semibluffs/draws, and have indicated in every possible way that you intend on showing your hand down.

When LAG bets river here he is stating that he is either really crazy or he has you beat. I think it wise to just try and call one here, then showdown your hand and adjust your reads as necessary.