Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2004, 11:21 AM

Default 5-10 PL at the Borg

The Game: Roughly a 50-50 mix of good players and donators and I've been playing fairly tight and somewhat aggressive pf for two hours. Two of the donators are in the 1st and 3rd seats on my left.

A large percentage of the hands have gone thusly: a couple or three limpers, a late position pot-sized raise which one of the blinds or one of the limpers calls and everyone else drops.

The situation: I have black queens and a stack of ~$850 in mlp and make a pot-sized raise to $70 after 3 limpers. Donator #1 on my left calls, donator #2 on my left calls and solid player with a stack over $2k in one of the blinds calls. Four handed to the flop with either $315 or $320 in the pot. The flop is 6-7-8 with two spades and the solid player bets $200 after thinking for about 5 seconds.

I'm next to act - what's my play?

BR
Old 10-25-2004, 11:46 AM

Default Re: 5-10 PL at the Borg

This one is player/read based. How does he view you?

Either way however, its push or fold time. You cant call and let one of the donators hang in with their draws.

this is a tough one though. the blackness of your queens would certainly help my decision however, if I was to push.
Old 10-25-2004, 12:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This one is player/read based. How does he view you?

[/ QUOTE ]

He's a solid player, so he should view me as tight and aggressive. Except for some pf overlimping with speculative hands (medium suited connectors and small pairs)I had been making pot-sized bets and raises - never just calling the flop and beyond. With the number of limpers before me in this hand, he must put me on a big pair or AK

BR
Old 10-25-2004, 12:20 PM

hi ron,
a lot of times he'll have 99 or TT in a spot like this, sometimes he'll have a set. if he is tricky he'll have you drawing almost dead, but the traditional play there would be to checkraise, to trap the donators in between. so for that reason I don't think he has a monster, but I think he has outs.

if you decide not to fold (folding is ok), you can call and move in on a blank turn, or raise all in right now. I think you make more money waiting until the turn, but it really depends on what the donators look like they are going to do. are they counting their chips, or doing the 2 card shuffle?

--turnipmonster
Old 10-25-2004, 12:39 PM

Looks to me that if the guy is good, and all the money goes in, you are not going to take it with QQ.
Not only that, but that s the kind of flop that could have it the donators, as they would play connectors even for a raise.
The more I look, the more I fold...

J.
Old 10-25-2004, 01:19 PM

I played in that game a few weeks ago and the stacks were a little deeper than I'd like to be w/less than 1k. I bought in for 2k, but that's just my opinion.

It's likely a draw or a smaller overpair like TT, 99 betting this flop. The bet is big enough to knock out the donators, I'd call and raise a blank on the turn.

Go Sox!
-Joe Tall
Old 10-25-2004, 01:23 PM

how was the game? any interesting hands?

--turnipmonster
Old 10-25-2004, 01:58 PM

how was the game? any interesting hands?

I had a blast in that game. I originally sat down to start up a 40/80 game but it didn't go. Then the 2/5 NL game was trying to get the PL game going and the table I was sitting at, became it. The group was very interesting; they all seemed to know each other and were very funny/friendly. The game, itself was great and it was an interesting experience for a tight-limit-player being stuck between two LAGs and on a table where everyone else knows each other names.

On hand went like this and was the funniest moment of the night:

I'm in the 2 seat, the 1 seat is unoccupied and one of the outgoing-LAGs is in the 10 seat. I'm in the BB w/AQs. 4 limpers to the LAG in the SB who I knew would pounce w/nearly anything, raises to $50 as he looks out at the bunch of limpers-grinnin, I quickly raise to $150 and he snaps his neck to the left as he looks down at me and goes, "awe-$hit forgot about you down there" as everyone laughs and his buddy says, "now you're fcked, he's got a real-hand and you don't". The limpers fold and he calls. The flop was KQx, he checks and I bet $250, he looks at me, looks at the board, looks at me and says, "why the fck do I have to be heads up w/you in this hand" as he mucks. He then says, "I'm not sure if you wanted me to have a King, or not on that hand." and I say, "Good, I played perfectly." He says, "maybe, but you played that perfectly." [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I put in a solid 7hrs in this game, they were real fun to play with and booked a nice win.

Go Sox!
-Joe Tall
Old 10-25-2004, 02:01 PM

I'd call and raise a blank on the turn.

Not too many blanks after that flop. There are about 20-25 cards that arent too cool in my book. I wouldnt hate the spade, but i wouldnt call it a blank either.
Not to mention an ace, which the solid blind could easily have Axspades or an A8s.

Is my thinking wrong that if i have a pretty good idea that I am good, then I should get it in now. I dont want to fold 50% of the time on the turn (after I already decided to continue with the hand) to a card that may or may not have helped my opponent.

I am not arguing mind you, Joe, just trying to hear some more thoughts from you and turnip.

btw any extra advice/info tidbits about the game would be great, I plan on def. playing it (yeah i decided to sack up and try it turnip [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]) when i am there in mid. nov.

fsuplayer
Old 10-25-2004, 02:34 PM

big bet games are, in my experience, a hell of a lot more fun than live limit games.