Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker

Old 10-13-2005, 01:30 PM

Default I bluff in a tourney, other players offer cash for him to call

We have a 20 person, 2 table home tourney $20 buyin. Blinds are 600/1200 with 6 players left at our table. It's folded to me in the SB and I go all-in for 9,000 chips with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].

The BB has 14,000 chips and shows K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] face up while thinking. Our tourney has no time limit on decisions unless someone calls time, so he thinks for over two minutes.

Other players start offering him cash to call. They came up with $3 if he called me. I didn't want to say anything at the time because then he'd know I was dominated.

He ended folding, but I think that's against the rules, no?
Old 10-13-2005, 01:36 PM

Default Re: I bluff in a tourney, other players offer cash for him to call

that is so wrong, that is breaking a rule of some sort.
Old 10-13-2005, 01:43 PM

You should have ultra bluffed and offered him some money to call you too.
Old 10-13-2005, 02:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
We have a 20 person, 2 table home tourney $20 buyin. Blinds are 600/1200 with 6 players left at our table. It's folded to me in the SB and I go all-in for 9,000 chips with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].

The BB has 14,000 chips and shows K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] face up while thinking. Our tourney has no time limit on decisions unless someone calls time, so he thinks for over two minutes.

Other players start offering him cash to call. They came up with $3 if he called me. I didn't want to say anything at the time because then he'd know I was dominated.

He ended folding, but I think that's against the rules, no?

[/ QUOTE ]

a few things (could be wrong but i don't think so)
1) Isn't a hand considered dead once a player shows his cards?
2) One player per hand. This a rule everywhere.
3) Poker Etiquette(sp?) really states that only players in the hand are supposed to speak at the table (although every home game breaks this rule i suppose)
Old 10-13-2005, 02:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Now THAT'S funny [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

But to the question at hand, that's complete BS. I'm not sure this technically fits under the one player to a hand rule but it's close.
Old 10-13-2005, 02:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If he did, would I have to both lose the hand and fork over the cash?
Old 10-13-2005, 02:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
a few things (could be wrong but i don't think so)
1) Isn't a hand considered dead once a player shows his cards?
2) One player per hand. This a rule everywhere.
3) Poker Etiquette(sp?) really states that only players in the hand are supposed to speak at the table (although every home game breaks this rule i suppose

[/ QUOTE ]

1) Depends on house rules, many cardrooms say your hand is dead if you expose one or more cards. However many also say you can show your cards before a call if it's headsup (including tourneys, I actually still think the WSOP has this rule). Some, I've only seen this at NL at Showboat in AC, allow you to show either one or both cards at any time in a hand (regardless of number of people left)which I thought would be completely stupid to do. I couldn't believe it, but I heard it directly from the pokerroom director the only night I've been there (about a week after they opened). But either way, before a home tourney the host should lay out these kinds of rules.

2. Yes, they clearly were breaking or at least somehow infringing on this rule and should be penalized.

3. Yeah everyone speaks but no one should speak in violation of rule number 2 which they clearly did.

Overall, it's a tough spot, you don't want to give your hand away by speaking up. If I were you I'd talk to who runs the game and get him to inform the others that such BS won't be tolerated and if it happens again the offending party forfeits his/her buyin. Those asshles could've changed the outcome of the whole tourney.

Good luck,
Matt
Old 10-13-2005, 02:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If he did, would I have to both lose the hand and fork over the cash?

[/ QUOTE ]

hey, you could always suckout.

In reality, if anyone ever offered to "Pay" me to call their bet, I would do it in a second.
Old 10-13-2005, 02:54 PM

Also no offense but after re-readng your post that was a pretty dumb move on your part as well. After my first read I assumed you were ridiculously short stacked, but you're not, and to make such a move with six people left and in an attempt to steal only one blind is probably not wise.
Old 10-13-2005, 03:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also no offense but after re-readng your post that was a pretty dumb move on your part as well. After my first read I assumed you were ridiculously short stacked, but you're not, and to make such a move with six people left and in an attempt to steal only one blind is probably not wise.

[/ QUOTE ]
agreed, but that wasn't the question. if I were you i would have loved to yell at your friends to shut up, but he probably would have called and you would have been dominated. since this is a home game, there isn't much you can do, except not invite them back [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]