Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits

Old 12-29-2005, 11:45 PM

Default Flop trips and stop-n-go?

No read on the person in the middle, late position is a fish.
My thinking is I don't want to blow middle position away with a raise on the flop, and I might be able to get the fish to raise again on the turn.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (6 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, MP3 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, SB folds, Hero calls, UTG+1 calls.

Turn: (6 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, Button calls.

River: (12 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button folds.

Final Pot: 13 BB
Old 12-30-2005, 12:23 AM

Default Re: Flop trips and stop-n-go?

fish are passive and passive players don't raise you on the turn after the stop n go with anything you beat

of course you are likely calling him fish, when you mean lag, or just don't know that fish = LP
Old 12-30-2005, 12:33 AM

No he's definetely a fish [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Edit: so you don't like my line? You'd prefer to just shut out the player in the middle and raise the flop?
Old 12-30-2005, 01:58 AM

If he'll raise your turn bet with a worse hand, this is a great line. If he's passive enough to just call you, then a b/c, c/r line will be better.
Old 12-30-2005, 02:04 PM

Is the 'fish' tricky enough to raise the flop for a free card?
If so, then I dont really like trying for a c/r on the turn.

I understand that you dont want to push out UTG+1 on the flop with a 3-bet, but the net is probably the same.
If you raise and he folds, then you get one more sb from the button. By not raising you got one more sb from UTG+1.

Also, he's shown some interest by calling once, many 1/2 players wont fold here just because its 2 SB back to him. Folding to your turn bet with the button still to act behind him is much easier.
Old 12-30-2005, 02:23 PM

I dig it. And while fish generally aren't raising you with crap here, you have a Queen kicker, so the times he's making this play with trips you have him beat most of the time.

I think its really likely he has some thing like 77-99, maybe even JJ or 55, raises the flop since his hand looks good, gets raised and gets worried, sees a blank on the turn and raises again. While fish are passive, they'll throw out lines like this that will confuse the hell out of you, since they'll go right back to their usual passive play afterwards.
Old 12-30-2005, 02:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If he'll raise your turn bet with a worse hand, this is a great line. If he's passive enough to just call you, then a b/c, c/r line will be better.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. This is why I would rather 3 bet the flop. Keep in mind that UTG only stays around on the turn if he makes a big draw or a hand, and you need to consider the chances of that along with the vulnerabilitly of your hand before trapping him.