Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8

Old 12-24-2005, 12:29 PM

Default Reckless? or a good push? PLO8

Last night, full table, PLO8 $25

Hero is BB with A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Hero is large stck with $67
Villian 1 has $54
Villian 2 is SB and has $50

Five preflop limpers and hero raises to $3.50...two callers see the flop.

Flop (J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img])

SB checks, hero checks, villian 1 bets $12, villian 2 calls, hero raises to $60.

Both villians call all in.

What do you think?

Looking for thoughts on the preflop raise against 5 limpers as well as the all in bet.

Thanks,

Dave
Old 12-24-2005, 03:03 PM

Default Re: Reckless? or a good push? PLO8

I don't like it. It's very likely that you're an underdog heads-up. 3-way you might be okay having close to your fair share of equity. It depends if anyone has a set the blocking cards that your opponents hold. I'm always curious to see the actual equity #s at the end of this post.

These are the kind of situations that you're able to avoid if you don't pot it pre-flop out of the blinds. You have a playable starting hand, but it's not a monster by any means. It's very tricky to play these kinds of hands profitably out of position. I'd say you're much better off keeping the pot small and more manageable.
Old 12-24-2005, 08:11 PM

I really dont like the push.

I flat call this, and check/fold to a non-club or 10. If its a club or 10, Im of cource getting my money in. I dont think you are going to get the opponents to fold enough times to make this play +EV.
Old 12-24-2005, 11:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Five preflop limpers and hero raises to $3.50...two callers see the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont know about the raise, your position stinks, and your hand plays very well against a lot of players. I would call or maybe make a min raise or 3 times the blinds raise, just to build a pot, but not actually get anyone out.

When it comes to the flop, you have a call right here. If you come over the top its unlikely both will fold. You should have potted it instead of checking in my opinion. If someone comes over the top then you have a decision. Anyway just call the flop and then based on the betting decide the turn play.
Old 12-25-2005, 02:04 AM

The preflop raise is fine. You have a good multiway hand and getting more money in the pot is great. However, you can't really like that flop, no matter how much you want to. With no possibility for a low, you're stuck hoping to check/call with proper odds to draw to the flush.

There's nothing wrong with raising hands preflop only to check/fold on the flop. Getting more money in the pot preflop with good two-way hands helps you build big pots on good flops. You don't ALWAYS have to follow the preflop raise with a flop bet or bluff or anything at all. It's perfectly fine to check/fold a crappy flop.
Old 12-25-2005, 05:48 AM

dont' raise from BB, this hand is not strong enough.
just call on flop, too likely u are behind or missing outs.

-g
Old 12-25-2005, 01:37 PM

This was an interesting hand.

I was not the hero in the example. I folded preflop.

But the hero is a 2+2er that I have played a bunch with and think very highly of his game.

This hand though...got away from him in my oppinion...but the good news was the turn was the 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and the river was 4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] giving him the nut flush.

Looking at the hands, our hero was behind to villian 1 with a straight on the flop and redraws to the second nut flush. Can't blame him for getting this money in here.

Villian 2 in the small blind should be put on someone's buddy list.

Villian 1: A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Villian 2: J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Thanks for the confirmation of my thoughts here. If someone has an alternative viewpoint, I'd like to hear it.

Dave