Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 10-14-2005, 04:11 PM

Default Re: Turning on the LAG gear

[ QUOTE ]
I've got 29 final tables this year.

My finish breakdown starts with the numbers 9, 4, and 6.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cool. ..and?
Old 10-14-2005, 04:12 PM

I'm beginning to look for my inner LAG, and this post is a great one to get me there. (Others are ZeeJustin's pre-flop push with JTo in a WPT event, and Adanthar's shove with Q4o [Q2o?] on the bubble in his recent win.) There are times when you have to shove it all in and count on FE to put you over the top. The problem, of course, is pulling the trigger. I know I should get more aggressive, but *wimper* what if he calls?

One of the question I'm trying to figure out is the factors you are looking for when making this kind of LAGGY play. Off the top of my head:

- A scary, scary flop, as in this example. You're saying, "I've say I've got the nuts or damn close. Do you believe me?"
- On the bubble against the "I just don't want to bust with ten players left" crowd.
-Against loose or LP raisers, preferably if they've shown the ability to lay down to a push.

What other factors make you think that you can get the villain to lay down to a push with a good sized pot (to which he is not committed)?
Old 10-14-2005, 04:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Cool. ..and?

[/ QUOTE ]

And, very few pure MTT players know how to pushbot. My edge after 6-7 handed is huge because nobody without a thousand SNG's under their belt or a bunch of 2+2 posts knows enough about shorthanded play.

The payout structure is not as important as hand values in a shorthanded game with comparatively short stacks.
Old 10-14-2005, 04:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I remember when you yelled at me for making this exact play. Of course, it was in a SNG.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd still never make it in an SNG...people call all sorts of weird crap when they're not playing for what looks like 80 billion dollars. Heh.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. I just thought it was funny.
Old 10-14-2005, 04:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And, very few pure MTT players know how to pushbot. My edge after 6-7 handed is huge because nobody without a thousand SNG's under their belt or a bunch of 2+2 posts knows enough about shorthanded play.

The payout structure is not as important as hand values in a shorthanded game with comparatively short stacks.

[/ QUOTE ]

I couldn't agree more I always feel like I have an advantage on final tables when the stacks get short relative to the blinds because of the thousands of SnG's I played and the experience I have dealing with those situations. I know I can wield a 8-20BB stack in a payout situation better than anyone who doesn't have alot of SnG experience.
Old 10-14-2005, 04:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

*whap*

vnh

CJ
Old 10-14-2005, 04:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Just so I have a goal, how many tournaments are we talking about here? 50-60?

Nice.
Old 10-14-2005, 04:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, but how many of those aren't Happy Hour [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-14-2005, 05:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just so I have a goal, how many tournaments are we talking about here? 50-60?

Nice.

[/ QUOTE ]
[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] With all due respect to Adanthar, and he's definitely a good player, I don't know if there's anyone out there - period - who could make a final table in half of the tourneys they entered. And there's a huge difference between a final table in a field of 100 and a final table in a field of 1,000. If you're playing a bunch of 1,000 person small buy-in MTTs I'd think you'd be a star making the final table 1 out of 30 or 40 times. If you could make it 1 out of 50 times you'd be doing well. Just do the math for the average player (1 out of 100 make the final table in a field of 1,000) and go from there.
Old 10-14-2005, 05:13 PM

hahahah

Yeah, 1 out of 2 is...umm...unrealistic. I just added my stats up again and those are from about 300 MTT's since the year started, but a bunch of them are 100 person fields. I didn't even play enough 500+ fields to keep track (that's gonna change right now, though.)