Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2005, 07:50 PM

Default Yet another \"Which chips should I get?\" thread

Ok, guys, here's the deal. When I first started playing poker and I was hosting a game with some friends, I went and got some chips. Not knowing anything about them, I happened to be at Target and got a 300 set of the "dice" chips. These are fine and dandy, and worked really well for what they were used for, but I then started to get the hankering for something better. I was on Ebay and got some of the yin yang chips, and while better, I don't really like that they are denominational, and even still would like something better. I've been playing around with doing the NJ promo from PSO, but I want atleast a 500 set. I know that there is alot of talk about Nexgens, and that they are supposed to be a pretty good chip, but I want something that feels fairly "real" without being a whole lot of money. I know that someplaces will give samples, what ones would you suggest I check out?
Old 10-13-2005, 08:04 PM

Default Re: Yet another \"Which chips should I get?\" thread

Here:

1: http://www.pokerchips.com/chips/chips_clay.html

2: http://www.trking.com

I have a set from TR King and I'm very happy with them. You can buy a sample of their chips and use the cost against a set if you buy from them. Both sites offer chips w/out edge spots for about @ $0.50 each, so a set of 500 would cost about $250. Don't know if that is in your budget, but the chips are worth it. Check out some of the other threads here on this topic. Some people have posted pix of their own home sets and it will give you some idea of what the chips look like.

Good luck.
Old 10-13-2005, 08:17 PM

Why don't you do the PSO promo and then buy another 200? That will give you 500 chips and you can get the other 200 in whatever denominations you want.
Old 10-14-2005, 10:36 AM

By your post, it sounds like you have an itching that these cheaper chips just can't scratch. I had the same problem...then I got a sample of some Paulsons. I found Nirvana. Get some samples and see what you think. It may be worth saving up for, it was for me. I have found 5stardeal.com to be a good all-around chip reatiler, but there are others such as apachepokerchips.com and holdempokerchips.com.
Old 10-14-2005, 12:35 PM

I had the same problem. I got these and slapped some labels on them until I can save up for some paulson's http://www.5stardeal.com/deals/10Exp...ctCode=10-1600
Old 10-14-2005, 01:19 PM

How much do you want to spend.

You can get the faux clay, for a 5-6c a chip, or the soprano's for a bit more.

you can move up to the Desert Sands or the Nevada Jacks (60c per chip or so)

Or look for Paulsons (a little less than a buck)

I don't love the NexGens myself, (but have only played with a couple of samples) but they do look nice if you get a good label.
Old 10-14-2005, 02:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Here:

1: http://www.pokerchips.com/chips/chips_clay.html

2: http://www.trking.com

I have a set from TR King and I'm very happy with them. You can buy a sample of their chips and use the cost against a set if you buy from them. Both sites offer chips w/out edge spots for about @ $0.50 each, so a set of 500 would cost about $250. Don't know if that is in your budget, but the chips are worth it. Check out some of the other threads here on this topic. Some people have posted pix of their own home sets and it will give you some idea of what the chips look like.

Good luck.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed, TR King!! I have about 900 Custom Kings crowns. Which do you have?

I also suggest doing the PSO promo, I did mine on Absolute and only took a few hours playing 2 tables at once in low limits. I made $70 in the process. Partypoker would be super quick, only requiring 250 hands. I already had an account there though.
Old 10-14-2005, 07:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Agreed, TR King!! I have about 900 Custom Kings crowns. Which do you have?

[/ QUOTE ]

I bought mine many years ago before the poker boom. Have a set of three hundered edge-spot chips w/my initials in the center. Thinking about expanding though since I play tourneys a lot now.
Old 10-18-2005, 07:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Here:

I also suggest doing the PSO promo, I did mine on tables at once in low limits. I made $70 in the process. Partypoker would be super quick, only requiring 250 hands. I already had an account there though.

[/ QUOTE ]Absolute and only took a few hours playing 2

can someone explain this promo to me? free chips (or discounted ones) sound ilke a great idea
Old 10-20-2005, 04:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
can someone explain this promo to me? free chips (or discounted ones) sound ilke a great idea

[/ QUOTE ]

I have completed the Nevada Jacks PSO promo without as well as many others. To complete this promotion, you must sign up for a poker site that you do not have a previous account on. Of course, Party Poker would be the easiest to complete. I did Titan Poker.

To sign up for their site, go to the Poker Source Online Website. Near the middle of the home page, you will see a banner for the free nevada jacks chips. The next page will explain the offer. You recieve free shipping of the "standard" chipset to any US residence. To sign up for the chipset you will need to logon or create a new account with thier site. All you have to do from that point is select a room to do the promotion with, deposit funds and play a certain amount of hands. When the requirements are complete, return to the PSO webpage to click the button telling them you completed the requirements and they will ship the chipset after verification. I recieved my chipset in about 1 week.

I requested the Desert Sands chipset instead of the nevada jacks since I liked the design better. The chips are far better than any plastic composite chips, but still not true clay. All in all, I think they are great chips; especially for the price.