Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Computer Technical Help

Old 09-02-2005, 12:43 AM

Default Wireless internet Question PLEASE HELP for $10

So we just set up a wireless internet network with a linksys router. All the computers on the network work except for mine. Mine goes on the internet for 5 min then drops for 1 min. This cycle repeats every 6 minutes and makes playing poker a real bitch. I called linksys technical support and they told me the problem is with my computer and not with my router or its settings.

I updated my drivers (I think) and that didnt do anything.

My computer worked fine on the wireless internet a few months ago.

if you can help me solve this problem without telling me I need to spend money on a new computer/hardware I will pay you $10. If the answer is fairly simple just reply, if not PM me and give me your phone number and a good time to call ya and if u can talk me through it I will paypal/PP. transfer you $10.

I am running XP and have a Vpr matrix laptop.

1st person to get this working gets $10
Old 09-02-2005, 01:00 AM

Default Re: Wireless internet Question PLEASE HELP for $10

What type of wireless is it? If it's something common like 802.11b/g, then it's possible your are using a neighbors connection instead of your own. Make sure you are connecting to the right network.

Another question is, signal quality declines with distance. Is the room further away than the others?
Old 09-02-2005, 01:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What type of wireless is it? If it's something common like 802.11b/g, then it's possible your are using a neighbors connection instead of your own. Make sure you are connecting to the right network.

Another question is, signal quality declines with distance. Is the room further away than the others?

[/ QUOTE ]

I am definately connecting to our network and the signal quality is excellent when I am on. I am actually the closest out of everyone.
Old 09-02-2005, 03:07 AM

The linksys B routers, the old ones, they have known driver issues with the latest drivers. I would go to the one just before the latest.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,13242612~mode=flat~days=9999~start=20

Here's a link, I doubt you have the same router as me, but this site fixed my problem.
Old 09-02-2005, 03:39 AM

What kind of wireless adapter is in your laptop? You say your internet connection is just randomly popping off. Does windows XP control the wireless, or is there some utility that controls your wireless card. Is there a WEP encryption key? Have you run windowsupdate and have all the latest patches. In the XP service pack 2 they changed the windows wireless manager.

Also are you connecting to a 802.11b or .11g router?
Old 09-02-2005, 12:55 PM

had a problem with a 900mhz phone that did this a lot. My computer would work fine, unless someone was on the phone, and it would drop pretty with a great deal of regularity.
Old 09-02-2005, 02:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What kind of wireless adapter is in your laptop? You say your internet connection is just randomly popping off. Does windows XP control the wireless, or is there some utility that controls your wireless card. Is there a WEP encryption key? Have you run windowsupdate and have all the latest patches. In the XP service pack 2 they changed the windows wireless manager.

Also are you connecting to a 802.11b or .11g router?

[/ QUOTE ]

Orinoco mini pci card is in laptop. I beleive windows XP controls wireless but I am not sure. No WEP encryption. Service pack 2 is on my computer and windows is fully updated. I do not know if I have a 802.11 or a .11 router....it is a linksys that we got last year.
Old 09-02-2005, 02:47 PM

Update firmware on the router. Try power cycling the router (if you haven't already). Uninstall your network card (in safe mode) then reinstall it with fresh drivers (downloaded, not the cached copy on your computer).

Freakin
Old 09-02-2005, 04:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Update firmware on the router. Try power cycling the router (if you haven't already). Uninstall your network card (in safe mode) then reinstall it with fresh drivers (downloaded, not the cached copy on your computer).

Freakin

[/ QUOTE ]

Ill try the network card thing. Are you sure messing with the router is a good idea? Linksys support said I shouldnt mess with the router any more, also there are 3 other computers on the network that work fine.
Old 09-02-2005, 04:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Freakin

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you may have won thr $10, its been about 15 min w/o a crash....another few hours and i hook u up. Pheeew, it only took me 10 hours to fix, at least i didnt piss 2 days on it.