Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-19-2005, 09:34 AM

Default AKo - UTG - need a better line

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (8 handed) converter

Hero ($24)
UTG+1 ($26.05)
MP1 ($6.95)
MP2 ($25)
CO ($26.45)
Button (Villain)/ ($16.90)
SB ($10.15)
BB ($27.20)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $0.75</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, CO calls $0.75, Button (Villain)/ calls $0.75, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>.

Flop: ($2.60) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, CO checks, <font color="#CC3333">Villain bets $0.75</font>, Hero calls $0.75, CO folds.

Turn: ($4.10) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Villain bets $1</font>, Hero calls $1.

River: ($6.10) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $6</font>, Villain folds.

Final Pot: $12.10

so....

this came up earlier today - not long afterwards I read the cardplayer article on earning extra cash by pushing all in preflop with AK. AKo is one of my top 5 losing hands ATM and I think the above hand may be an example of why.

Looking at this hand now I don't like my river bet - would a half pot bet be better here to extract more value?

I seem to get myself into all sorts of trouble OOP playing hands like this. Should I be raising more than 3xBB UTG?

new at this table so sadly no real reads.
Old 12-19-2005, 09:38 AM

Default Re: AKo - UTG - need a better line

Raise more pre-flop, make it $1.25, that's a standard raise. Then CB the flop, bet the flop, bet the river.
Old 12-19-2005, 09:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Raise more pre-flop, make it $1.25, that's a standard raise. Then CB the flop, bet the flop, bet the river.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 12-19-2005, 09:58 AM

so I raise $1.25 PF - same action and the flop comes 9TJ.

3 players pot $4.10

I bet $3 - CO folds - Villain min-raises to $6 - now what?

I have a backdoor flush draw (1 out)
gutshot straight draw (4 outs)
2 Overcards (6 outs)

is this enough outs to draw to considering how co-ordinated this flop is? as if villain has a made straight here I might be drawing to only 4 outs???
Old 12-19-2005, 10:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
so I raise $1.25 PF - same action and the flop comes 9TJ.

3 players pot $4.10

I have a backdoor flush draw (1 out)
gutshot straight draw (4 outs)
2 Overcards (6 outs)

is this enough outs to draw to considering how co-ordinated this flop is? as if villain has a made straight here I might be drawing to only 4 outs???

[/ QUOTE ]

This is an easy fold. You are drawing thin to dead and it will cost you another bet to get to the river. AK is a great hand pre-flop, but it loses value quickly on coordinated flops that get raised.
Old 12-19-2005, 10:16 AM

Will you feel comfortable playing for a lolt of your chips with TPTK on a AJT9 board. Realistically all you are beating that called you pf is KJ, AQ, or a low pp, but they would minraise you. Raise more preflop, fire out a 1/2 pot CB, and fold to any more of his aggresion. While I wouldnt have called on the flop, you need to call on the turn there. River I bet less to induce a call. You check called after raising pf for 2 streets, and fire when 4 spades arrive, and fire hard in that. Unlikely call there.
Old 12-19-2005, 10:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
so I raise $1.25 PF - same action..

[/ QUOTE ]

This is an easy fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK then.

3 players pot $4.10

I bet $3 - CO folds - Villain calls $3

Turn: ($10.10) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] [T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]]

now what?

I have TPTK tho I'm guessing Villain has a straight or is drawing to one.

I have a nut flush draw (9 outs)
gutshot draw (4 outs)

I think I'd bet 3/4 of pot here - tho do I call a push from villain on this turn?
Old 12-19-2005, 11:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
so I raise $1.25 PF - same action..

[/ QUOTE ]

This is an easy fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK then.

3 players pot $4.10

I bet $3 - CO folds - Villain calls $3

Turn: ($10.10) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] [T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]]

now what?

I have TPTK tho I'm guessing Villain has a straight or is drawing to one.

I have a nut flush draw (9 outs)
gutshot draw (4 outs)

I think I'd bet 3/4 of pot here - tho do I call a push from villain on this turn?

[/ QUOTE ]

Since villain is a short stack (after your 3/4 pot bet) then yes I would call in this situation because you are getting better than 3-1 on your money and you are about better than 4-1 to make your draw without factoring in whether you are already ahead and whether a K is an out.

I never want to play a large pot with TPTK OOP (unfortunately it's one of the hardest hands to play right). If you both had $40-$50 behind and he pushed the turn, I would fold in a heartbeat.