Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2005, 01:23 PM

Default Re: I check behind flop and get blasted

[ QUOTE ]
I think folding is better.

[/ QUOTE ]

Given your call and results, I'd say that this is a perfect example of why I'm not so good at six-max.
Old 11-09-2005, 01:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Looks like it was folded to TWP which can be a standard button raise with any 2.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a very wide statement. To open with any two on the button, the folding equity has to be near perfect (they'll fold 2/3 of the time to a 3BB raise for example) or you have to be confident you're crushing your opponents postflop. Shania is not as valuable as most would like it to be against players who are giving you money (LAGs, fish, etc.).
Old 11-09-2005, 01:54 PM

I agree. Raising any two is a losing play.
Old 11-09-2005, 01:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Honestly, why even post hand 1?

[/ QUOTE ]
Honestly, because I wasn't sure about the flop check. I think I like it, but then what's my line if I don't hit an 8 on the turn. My plan was to call down since he's a psycho. What if he isn't a psycho? What if the psycho pushes? What if the turn is an ace?

This is why I posted hand 1.
Old 11-09-2005, 01:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Honestly, why even post hand 1?

[/ QUOTE ]
Honestly, because I wasn't sure about the flop check. I think I like it, but then what's my line if I don't hit an 8 on the turn. My plan was to call down since he's a psycho. What if he isn't a psycho? What if the psycho pushes? What if the turn is an ace?

This is why I posted hand 1.

[/ QUOTE ]
In that case, you should've stopped the post at your flop action. You can bet it sometimes, check it behind sometimes but once you spike your 8 on the turn, the hand plays itself.
Old 11-09-2005, 02:00 PM

Fair enough. I thought that some people might advocate folding the turn, but I guess not. But I did try to stress the flop play in my title and first sentence of post. So...any thoughts on flop play?
Old 11-09-2005, 02:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Fair enough. I thought that some people might advocate folding the turn, but I guess not. But I did try to stress the flop play in my title and first sentence of post. So...any thoughts on flop play?

[/ QUOTE ]

I am curious on everyone's thoughts on flop play too.

I seem to be checking behind on a lot of flops in situations where if I make a continuation bet, worse hands fold, and better hands call/raise. These two hands are good examples of that.

I think to myself why bet the flop, when I can call/bet the turn for the same price, and be closer to showdown?
Old 11-09-2005, 02:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Its a horrible flop for your hand vs. a LAG. You can't beat anything out there (you aren't even in great shape against JT with its 13 outs) and he's probably capable of representing something and betting (or checkraising or whatever) it on any and all streets. I don't really like the calldown plan due to the fact that almost every card in the deck scares you when you haven't taken the lead. I'd probably bet the flop and, if I got checkraised, I'd make my decision there as to whether or not I believed him. It'd be a tough spot, but I at least want to give him a chance to fold.
Old 11-09-2005, 02:10 PM

So you want to guess for all your chips on a QQx flop with 88? I can't believe that will be more profitable than calling down a super LAG. My general plan is basically to check behind on paired flops around 95% of the time HU. Do you think that's terrible? I think it really helps me make a lot of money and save a lot of money.
Old 11-09-2005, 02:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So you want to guess for all your chips on a QQx flop with 88? I can't believe that will be more profitable than calling down a super LAG. My general plan is basically to check behind on paired flops around 95% of the time HU. Do you think that's terrible? I think it really helps me make a lot of money and save a lot of money.

[/ QUOTE ]
Gah; I wrote a long reply, got an error posting it and now its gone. I'm on my way out the door so I won't be rewriting it now. Part of it was that I'm deciding on the flop, not necessarily 3betting it; just to make that clear. Had you bet the flop, what do you think he would've done with T7?