Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2005, 03:23 PM

Default Re: PCA DSO Hand - 5 left - Do I make the call?

[ QUOTE ]
I believe I'm the best player left.

[/ QUOTE ]

This alone makes it JJ+,AK.

You are shortish, but not very desperate yet, no need to get in "hoping" not to be dominated with a marginal hand, if you can get your $$$ in better against these guys.

Calling tight guy opening for his stack UTG is not a nice place to be without a Group 1 hand.

Especially with you characterizing the big stacks as passive, lots of blinds to steal and coming over the top of open raises still available with your stack.

Regards,
Woodguy
Old 11-02-2005, 03:33 PM

I was assuming the $650 didnt matter to LLoyd. I will agree though, that if Lloyd feels he is head and shoulders about the others in talent, then he should tighten his range.
~Justin
Old 11-02-2005, 03:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
my gut says AA-99 AQs+. I dont like calling with AQo here cause I think we see PPs and AK much more than lower aces and KQ.

[/ QUOTE ]
AQo is only something like 3% better than AQs heads up.
Old 11-02-2005, 03:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
With an open push and a short stack I think his conceivable range could be Any PP - AK-AT, KQ
~Justin

[/ QUOTE ]
So you think he's more likely to push small pairs with a shortstack who might very well call with a wide range of hands?
Old 11-02-2005, 03:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]

ok, so we'll give him a range of 66-TT, AK.

Still wanna muck 99?

[/ QUOTE ]

Two more questions that warrant consideration.

One, the OP's posting of positions/stacks is confusing. I assume 'CO' is the SB, and 'button' is the BB? Or are both blinds dead from the last hand?

Assuming the former, big stack in the CO/SB, if we call, needs to call 1260 to win 2600, better than 2:1 and a pretty good price for any two broadway, suited aces, etc. I'm going to be worried, if we're talking 99, that I have 3-4 overs to dodge.

Having missed OP's post that he feels he's the best player at the table, then I tighten my range and fold TT as well. Hero is not desperate, and should continue opening pots uncontested, especially with the pay structure as it is and the tight table dynamic.
Old 11-02-2005, 03:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
my gut says AA-99 AQs+. I dont like calling with AQo here cause I think we see PPs and AK much more than lower aces and KQ.

[/ QUOTE ]
AQo is only something like 3% better than AQs heads up.

[/ QUOTE ]

it's better by more than 4% against AKo. (i think).
Old 11-02-2005, 03:46 PM

I'm not sure your skill level should really make a difference on your range here, because everyone is going to be short stacked soon and there's not much difference in skill playing short stacks.

With the prize structure I bet the range is actually bigger than AA-JJ/AK because it pays to take marginal gambles in order to give yourself a realistic shot at winning first.

These spots are not always very intuitive. I wish I was better at intuitively knowing what ICM is going to say.
Old 11-02-2005, 03:53 PM

5 handed, I will likely push small PPs with a shortish stack as I still have folding equity and even if I am called I am generally not in terrible shape, AK-AJ, KQ, etc, etc. I am obviously dominated by bigger pairs but many of the responses in this thread illustrate why I would play it this way, people are saying their calling ranges are AA-JJ and AK-AQ, I am very likely to not get called. I open up my table image in the process as well and take some blinds.
~Justin
Old 11-02-2005, 03:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
We're down to the final 5. [deletia]

UTG: t1180
MP: t6275
Hero: t1310
CO: t4145
Button: t590

Blinds 50/100

UTG pushes t1180. I'm positive this is not a steal and he has some sort of real hand. I cannot remember the last time he opened UTG. MP folds and it's on me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really obvious question: Aren't we missing some blinds here? Are you actually on the button? This matters a little because (obviously) the more people still to act behind you, the greater chance you have of running into a real monster.

My range is quite narrow here...probably QQ-AA and AK only.
Old 11-02-2005, 04:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
5 handed, I will likely push small PPs with a shortish stack as I still have folding equity and even if I am called I am generally not in terrible shape, AK-AJ, KQ, etc, etc. I am obviously dominated by bigger pairs but many of the responses in this thread illustrate why I would play it this way, people are saying their calling ranges are AA-JJ and AK-AQ, I am very likely to not get called. I open up my table image in the process as well and take some blinds.
~Justin

[/ QUOTE ]

that's what you would do, not necessarily what Lloyd thought this UTG would do.