Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2005, 03:23 PM

Default Re: What separates a good player from an advanced player?

[ QUOTE ]
I think the biggest factor differentiating great players from good players is how lucky they've been lately.

[/ QUOTE ]

Which goes to prove that 'great luck' is better than 'good luck'!
Old 09-24-2005, 03:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
fwiw, my stats are 18/12/2.79 (or 2.81, i can't remember). my river agression is 2.5 or so. value betting is huge.

[/ QUOTE ]

barron,

you are way more aggressive than me on the river (but its possible you're just folding more than me on the river because you're a better hand reader). what is your % won when bet/raise/check-raise on the river?

i ask because i dont know what it should theoretically be and i want someone to enlighten me. My street by street stats (in almost all 4 handed mid stakes games) are 2.69/2.22/1.74 and my won$sd when wen bet/raise is 79.70. I feel like i'm missing a ton of bets.
Old 09-24-2005, 04:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I feel like i'm missing a ton of bets.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know you asked the other Barron ... but there is a reason you are feeling what you're feeling.

Barron Vangor Toth
BarronVangorToth.com
Old 09-24-2005, 04:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
fwiw, my stats are 18/12/2.79 (or 2.81, i can't remember). my river agression is 2.5 or so. value betting is huge.

[/ QUOTE ]

barron,

you are way more aggressive than me on the river (but its possible you're just folding more than me on the river because you're a better hand reader). what is your % won when bet/raise/check-raise on the river?

i ask because i dont know what it should theoretically be and i want someone to enlighten me. My street by street stats (in almost all 4 handed mid stakes games) are 2.69/2.22/1.74 and my won$sd when wen bet/raise is 79.70. I feel like i'm missing a ton of bets.

[/ QUOTE ]

By contrast - if I've felt I've missed one bet on the river in a session I feel like a failure. Barron vontragriasjkfa Toth is a wise man.
-James
Old 09-24-2005, 04:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
By contrast - if I've felt I've missed one bet on the river in a session I feel like a failure.

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm the same. i hate it when i play bad, even when im running good.
Old 09-24-2005, 04:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I know you asked the other Barron ... but there is a reason you are feeling what you're feeling.

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm not sure exactly what you mean here...but yeah, it's something im working on.
Old 09-24-2005, 04:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Barron Vangor Toth
BarronVangorToth.com

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed...that river AF of yours is low...1.5 something...gotta step it up.

one thing you should note is that if somebody calls from the blinds and you have KJo and the flop is Q83 rb and he check and calls and you hit a J on the turn and he check and calls again and he checks to you on a blank river, you have to bet it after he checks. maybe thats an obvious example but the point is if somebody checks and calls the whole hand, he'll do it on the river a lot, so BET your marginal hands for value.

Barron
Old 09-24-2005, 04:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Barron Vangor Toth
BarronVangorToth.com

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed...that river AF of yours is low...1.5 something...gotta step it up.

one thing you should note is that if somebody calls from the blinds and you have KJo and the flop is Q83 rb and he check and calls and you hit a J on the turn and he check and calls again and he checks to you on a blank river, you have to bet it after he checks. maybe thats an obvious example but the point is if somebody checks and calls the whole hand, he'll do it on the river a lot, so BET your marginal hands for value.

Barron

[/ QUOTE ]

that's a pretty easy bet for me...i do have trouble doing things like value betting bottom pair and good aces when i think they'll call with A high...also a lot of times if i get check-raised on the turn and he checks to me on the river i wuss out and check-behind a lot even with mid pair type hands that are usually easy value bets.

i think my 1.74AF is on the low side but its an improvement from 2 months ago when it was 1.22 and i was "running bad" and i think that not value betting enough is one of the biggest leaks most ppl have (me included)
Old 09-24-2005, 08:33 PM

That river aggression is insane, and the river is the one street i feel I play horribibly. I'm wondering, is it possible for you to filter those stats when your in or out of postion? How often do you bluff-raise the river? Whats your Win% when you bet and get called? What should it be? I have so many river questions. Anybody out there have good river answers?

lf
Old 09-24-2005, 09:54 PM

No, but I feel the exact same way that you do.