Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-19-2005, 09:45 AM

Default Legal Credentials of Brown and Owen

What is wanting in the legal credentials of Brown and Owen. I admit legal credentials is vague term but apparently the objections to these two stem from decisions they've made in various cases. If this is true then what are the factors in some of these decisions that indicate their legal credentials are lacking.
Old 05-19-2005, 09:59 AM

Default Re: Legal Credentials of Brown and Owen

The objections to Brown are more grounded in certain public positions she has taken in speeches than in specific decisions, IIRC. Brown has stated publicly that in the case of a conflit between "natural" law and the constitution judges should follow "natural" law.

The objections to Owen are based on the perception that she is prepared to distort the law to arrived at decisions that she personally prefers. The decisions cited most often are those interpreting Texas's parental notification for abortion statute.

In my view (if you care), Brown is unqualified. Owen is not.
Old 05-19-2005, 12:20 PM

For the case against Owen:

http://www.independentjudiciary.com/...n2005final.pdf

and

http://www.independentjudiciary.com/...n2005final.pdf
Old 05-19-2005, 12:33 PM

Default Interesting ... Thanks (n/m)

Old 05-19-2005, 12:36 PM

Default Thanks

I skimmed over the link regarding Owen. I don't have time to study the material right now but I plan to later today. Thanks for links, mucho appreciated.
Old 05-19-2005, 12:42 PM

From Media Matters for America's Top 10 Filibuster Falsehoods:

[ QUOTE ]
Falsehood #2: Bush's filibustered nominees have all been rated well-qualified by the ABA; blocking such highly rated nominees is unprecedented

To make Democratic filibusters appear unwarranted, many "nuclear option" supporters have falsely claimed that some -- or all -- of Bush's judicial nominees have received the American Bar Association's (ABA) highest qualification rating. Others have argued that Texas Supreme Court justice Priscilla Owen is the first judicial nominee to be filibustered who received a unanimous well-qualified (WQ) rating from the ABA.

But of the 10 Bush nominees filibustered by Senate Democrats, only three -- Owen, Miguel Estrada, and David McKeague -- received a unanimous "Well Qualified" rating from the ABA. Conservatives have frequently touted Janice Rogers Brown as highly qualified (see Rush Limbaugh and Rev. Jerry Falwell), but she twice received an "Unqualified" rating from the California judicial evaluation committee and currently has the ABA's lowest "passing" rating of Qm/NQmin (meaning a majority consider her "Qualified" and a minority consider her "Not Qualified").

Contrary to some claims, blocking WQ-rated judicial nominees is not a new practice. Republicans blocked 10 of President Clinton's appeals court nominees with unanimous WQs from receiving a Senate Judiciary Committee hearing, and another WQ nominee received a committee hearing but was granted neither a committee vote nor full Senate consideration.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 05-19-2005, 01:04 PM

And I was trying to keep this thread focused on the legal credentials of the apparently two most controversial appointments rather than start yet have another thread on the political aspects. I appreciate LaggyLou's and Andy's responses toward that end. No offense but I don't appreciate your post. There are at least a few threads that debate the political aspects so debate the political issues there please or start your own thread instead of trying to hijack this thread.
Old 05-19-2005, 02:14 PM

Racism Your favorite reason for being a brown shirt. You'd love them.
Old 05-19-2005, 03:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And I was trying to keep this thread focused on the legal credentials of the apparently two most controversial appointments rather than start yet have another thread on the political aspects. I appreciate LaggyLou's and Andy's responses toward that end. No offense but I don't appreciate your post. There are at least a few threads that debate the political aspects so debate the political issues there please or start your own thread instead of trying to hijack this thread.

[/ QUOTE ]
Fair enough. I'll snip even further:

[ QUOTE ]
...Janice Rogers Brown...twice received an "Unqualified" rating from the California judicial evaluation committee and currently has the ABA's lowest "passing" rating of Qm/NQmin (meaning a majority consider her "Qualified" and a minority consider her "Not Qualified").

[/ QUOTE ]