Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2005, 06:41 PM

Default Re: Sweet chess run

[ QUOTE ]
I've lost over 100K from my high something like 4 times this year

[/ QUOTE ]

Golly.

To the original topic:
I was hooked on ICC for quite some time. Mostly the 1-minute bullet ('video-game-chess' as I called it).
Good times.

I have since given it up (and let my membership expire last year) for poker.
I enjoy chess more...but poker is more profitable (except when one is in a downswing of course).

I'm only 1600 or so at bullet-chess on ICC but I remember some of my big wins over 2400 and higher rated players.

Would love to get back into chess some if/when I build my poker-bankroll to a more comfortable level.
As it stands now, I would feel guilty playing chess...because it would take away from the time I need to spending making money at poker (either playing or studying).
Old 11-19-2005, 10:09 PM

J_V,

You should consider combining chess and poker. The North American (Chess) Open is being held at Bally's in Las Vegas from December 26th to the 29th. About 500 players showed up last year.
Old 11-19-2005, 10:57 PM

Thats a very nice run - sometimes coming back to chess after a good while off sharpens your game up nicely. I played a tournament here in Costa Rica for the first time since moving here 2.5 years ago, and was quite happy with my performance, gaining 20 FIDE rating points.

AND, I once beat curtain's sister in a blitz game online. So ha.
Old 11-19-2005, 10:58 PM

The last report on Chessbase indicated that Kramnik's group had made a substantial offer, but that Topalov turned it down. I wouldn't bet on any unification match occurring any time soon.
Old 11-20-2005, 03:02 AM

Somewhere out there, there are a few guys saying, "man, I went on a sick chess run. I have a 1500 rating, but I jumped on my friends account who is rated 2400 and drew against some guy with a 2200 rating!!"

Etc.
Old 11-20-2005, 03:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Thats a very nice run - sometimes coming back to chess after a good while off sharpens your game up nicely. I played a tournament here in Costa Rica for the first time since moving here 2.5 years ago, and was quite happy with my performance, gaining 20 FIDE rating points.

AND, I once beat curtain's sister in a blitz game online. So ha.

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to love chess tournaments when i was younger. id like to go back to another one sometime. i love the really nice pieces and sound of the clocks ticking. chess is awesome although poker is better because its less structured. Playing against someone better then you or worse then you is no fun. Its best when you play someone at your skill level.
Old 11-20-2005, 04:29 AM

I went on a sick Magic run last weekend, but not quite sick enough.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x...pphi05/welcome

I'm terrible at chess. Any of you guys play scrabble?
Old 11-20-2005, 05:31 AM

I remember a few games you've posted and I've really enjoyed them. Some of the games I won were borderline gimmicky Grand Prix Attack Games (theoretically only equal for white) but still interesting in blitz. If I have the time tomorrow I'll post them, and hopefully reciprocate the favor for chess fans.
Old 11-20-2005, 11:50 AM

Unless you're a GM / super-GM, you can't make much money playing chess for a living. I think that's why most of them write books, give lessons, or give lectures. I think most GM's even have regular jobs. Famous GMs like Kasparov and Kramnik can play computers for money. Class prizes at tournaments are either 1) small, 2) for a really large field and are spread out over several places, or 3) both 1 and 2.

I'm 1800 USCF and my biggest payday was $750 at NA Open five or six years back when I placed somewhere in the U1800. I won an amazing $200 a few years ago for winning our state championship (my highlight tourney, went 4.5/5 scalped a former master, an expert, two 1900's and drew a 2100.) Overall, I've probably won $1200 or so over thirteen years of competitive chess.

My biggest poker payday was $5K for placing second in a Paradise tourney (the payouts were stacked for places 1-5 only.) I can usually make $200 in a week of playing 3-6 or 4-8. So yeah, poker's more lucrative by far. That's why all my chess friends gave up chess for poker.

ScottieK
Old 11-20-2005, 01:22 PM

I'm a 40+ chess neophyte. I like to think chess would give me a little different perspective on poker strategy.

Building some new networks in the old bean can never be wrong.