Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8

Old 03-24-2005, 03:38 AM

Default Re: Pot limit stats comparison

[ QUOTE ]

also, how do you play "4 cards higher than T" hands?

-g

[/ QUOTE ]

I usually limp preflop with almost any 4 cards . I would muck something like TTAJ rainbow. If I sense a threeway hand against two loose opponents developing I might raise with the best hands. I don't cold call raise(s) unless it's really a PREMIUM hi-only hand

Post flop I usually muck them when 2 low cards hit and I didn't hit a set.. If I hit a set I wanna see the 4th card for preferably 1-2 bets only.. Problems start again with 2 pairs.. kings up, aces up, stuff like that I find problematic .. I usually bet with them on the flop to get information but am ready to muck them
Old 03-24-2005, 04:44 AM

Default Re: Pls check my stats - (somewhat long and almost emotional)

You haven't even scratched the surface on starting hands in o/8. Not to mention even when you get a good hand it's often not a huge favorite to win most of the time.

Report back after 30,000 hands or so.
Old 03-24-2005, 05:46 AM

Default Re: Pot limit stats comparison

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

also, how do you play "4 cards higher than T" hands?

-g

[/ QUOTE ]

I usually limp preflop with almost any 4 cards . I would muck something like TTAJ rainbow. If I sense a threeway hand against two loose opponents developing I might raise with the best hands. I don't cold call raise(s) unless it's really a PREMIUM hi-only hand

Post flop I usually muck them when 2 low cards hit and I didn't hit a set.. If I hit a set I wanna see the 4th card for preferably 1-2 bets only.. Problems start again with 2 pairs.. kings up, aces up, stuff like that I find problematic .. I usually bet with them on the flop to get information but am ready to muck them

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds fine except I'd cold call raises somewhat often, depending on the opponent/position. These hands do well vs. A2xx hands.
Old 03-24-2005, 04:41 PM

3.4k is hardly enough hands to determine if you are a winning player. A way to evaluate your play could be….

But 3.4 K hands is a good start.

Assuming you are a steady player, not prone to excessive tilt, then consider….

Assume an average session for you is about 170 hands; is so, then this would amount to about 20 sessions. Of if you consider 200 hands as an average session – then 3.4 K hands would be equivalent to 18 sessions.
I suggest you keep a running average of how you do in each group of your last 10 sessions (say groups of 10 sessions and about 200 hands per session). Then keep a running average of your last ten groups of ten sessions. If your running average per group of last ten groups (about 2000 hands) is usually about 50%(i.e., 5 wins in 10 sessions), then you are an average player, maybe just paying the table rent. If you average 6 wins in 10, then you are a slightly above average player. If you win 7.5 or more times per group of ten sessions, then you are a very good player. You want to keep this running average up to 60% better. If it starts to go down, then try to figure out why? Are you comfortable with the betting stakes? When you are a very good player, how much you win is dependent on many factors; some are game selection, how you feel, time of day on the Internet(certain times have more average players then usual) – things like this.
Old 03-25-2005, 01:22 AM

It's really very simple - Omaha requires much more experience in marginal situations than you realize. You're not gonna acquire that experience by jumping into multi-tabling and trying to grind out a win by just being tight. You're putting a cart before the horse. When you actually take the time to learn the game you'll figure out what's going on.
Old 03-25-2005, 12:47 PM

Very nicely put, and I agree.
I simply *thought* I could go ahead and 3-table and simply play tight plus make money BECAUSE there are so many loose bad players at the Omaha tables. This was my bad, I need to play one table and study every hand more deeply, during and after the game.. Check and recheck the odds for the hands to see whether my bet call or fold was correct.

The only "problem" is the opportunity cost of NOT playing a game that are already very profitable, but that is not an Omaha related issue at all .. And I suppose learning Omaha can do good things for you GENERALLY as a poker player, too.
Old 03-25-2005, 11:43 PM

The games aren't going to get "bad" anytime soon so there's no huge hurry.