Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 01-25-2005, 10:02 PM

Default Re: Chess: want to get better fast

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks a lot for answering. I guess I'll just analyze my games as far as I can, and have my computer do the rest. As far as rating, I live in a remote town, where there really isn't any chess, so unless I travel a minimum of 2 hours by car a day, I won't be able to regularly play in real clubs. I was wondering if there was any gaming community online, like ICC, that had a rating system close to what your real rating would be.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is no such thing as a 'real' rating. ICC rating is fine but is only good for comparison to other ICC ratings. Similarly USCF ratings are good for comparing with other USCF ratings (same for FIDE, etc). FIDE ratings I suppose are the most meaningful and indicative (since they're used throughout the world). I don't have one and don't really care (and don't care to play vs. the international competition and/or events necesary to get one, although I don't even know if I'm good enough to really get one anyway).

Do you play on ICC? The ratings on there are generally inflated but are somewhat indicative of what one's USCF rating could be. I haven't played on ICC in so long I don't know what a reasonable conversion would be. The other problem with ICC ratings is that almost everyone plays fast games (and almost no games approaching the length of actual tournament play) so that also makes the ratings not so comparable to USCF or FIDE ratings.

Yugoslav
Old 01-26-2005, 09:08 AM

I used to play on ICC, and my standard rating was around 1650, though I only got to play about 5-6 rated games, and my rating started at 1200.
Old 01-26-2005, 10:39 PM

It depends on whether you want to "get better" fast or "have better results" fast.

If you want to get better fast, you're probably out of luck. Its not a simple game to learn, and hard to learn quick. Much will depend on your individual talent level. For all beginners (apologies if this offends you...but if you are in the 1100 range, you're essentially a beginner as relates to tournament chess), I always advise the whole gamut of Silman/Seirawan books "Winning Chess..(tactics, endings, etc). They are available at most major bookstores and are pretty cheap. They are also easy to read, with or without a board in front of you.

If you want better results fast, pick up any book devoted to opening traps. You'll catch many experienced players in these, but you aren't going to get any better in chess playing them.

FWIW, Fide rated 2115 (with two IM scalps in full on tourney play and one humiliating loss to a GM where "beginner" would have been a charitable way to describe my play)