Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-12-2005, 10:13 AM

Default Re: Laser Eye Surgery

[ QUOTE ]
There's a whole slew of choices down here in Atlanta, from $499 an eye (yeah right) up to $2500 an eye. I'm not sure which to go with, but haven't done a ton of research.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is not a place you want to penny pinch. The cheaper places have to do a lot of volume to pay for their equipment and are less stringent in their screening process. Not everyone is an ideal candidate and it's those less-than-ideal's that have most of the problems that you hear about.

If you have a regular optometrist you trust, he can probably tell you if you're a viable candidate or not.

That said, it's the best $5000 I've ever spent.
Old 01-12-2005, 10:13 AM

I can relate, I have the same problem.
I am definitely getting the surgery this year.
No reason not to anymore.
Old 01-12-2005, 10:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My fiancee is a nurse at one of the leading laser eye surgery centers in Philadelphia.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Good luck and let me know if you've got any more specific questions, I can get them answered for you right away.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can she get me a discount? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 01-12-2005, 10:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Can she get me a discount?

[/ QUOTE ]

Naw, family only, sorry... (one of the reasons I have to wait so friggin' long to get it, I tried telling them 'i'm ALMOST family, cant we just let me in on a technicality?' no dice.) [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 01-12-2005, 10:43 AM

Maybe you could use ArchAngel's mouse?
Old 01-12-2005, 10:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
omg! i can't belive you beat me to that!
Old 01-12-2005, 10:53 AM

This really isn't a place you want to go with the lowest bidder. The doctor I went to said over half of his surgery is actually repairing people's eyes who got it done in the mall or wherever the $499 special was. Here is his website . I had to wait until I was 21 and had the same perscription for three years in a row. Buy stock in eye drops. For about 4-5 months afterwards, I was rewetting my eyes at least 5 times a day, the first few weeks afterwards, I was doing it every 15-30 minutes. But there is nothing like waking up in the middle of the night and being able to see the clock. In fact, later in the day of my surgery, i walked around and read every clock from as far away as i could get. Your vision will actually flucuate for the first month or so. Mine finally settled in around 20/15. On the other hand, my dad got it done when he was 61 and he still has to wear contacts just a lesser perscription. The day after my surgery, I drove to the hospital. It didn't hurt during the surgery, but it is kind of scary because they put pressure on your eye which makes you go blind for a second, but you don't care (Thanks valium!).

-AA
Old 01-12-2005, 10:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Har Har.

My roommate verified the burnt spot, so suck it.

-AA
Old 01-12-2005, 11:30 AM

a friend of mine had it and it was a nightmare for him, although to be fair they did tell him he was high risk because of his eye shape (he's half asian if that matters).

also I know lots of people that say it's the best thing ever. I have a weird relationship with contacts, I can wear them indefinitely without ever taking them out and never even notice them, so there's no need for it for me yet. my current contacts have been in for at least a month.

--turnipmonster
Old 01-12-2005, 02:09 PM

Wait until you're 25 - you don't HAVE to, but it's better and more likely to be stable. Don't skimp on the cost - as people have mentioned, only 1 pair of eyes. I have seen plenty of ugly complications, so trust me on this. Most important thing is to be aware of the possibilities of complications and to go to a physician who will tell you NOT to have it if that is what is most appropriate. People can develop dry eyes, glare, haloes, infections, etc. Don't go to a doctor who tries to sell you on it. You should want it 100% on your own.

7ontheline
(Eye MD)