Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-06-2005, 03:22 PM

Default VS a reraise with AK or AQ

Ok here is an interesting situation that I run into everyday and I know all of you do too.

You raise preflop and joe-schmo reraises you. You are now out of position vs a 3 bet. You got AKo or AQ.

Flop misses you totally, all low cards. It most likely missed your opponent.

So when do you call down with just ace high?

My thoughts are basically it depends where you raise from and what typical hands you might get reraised with.

From my experience fish tend to reraise with AK, KK, AA, QQ. Everything else they cold call. So I figure its easier to make a decision vs these types of players. Usually their PFR is 3-5%. Or rocks that raise 5% of the time.

Lets assume a 2/4 or 3/6 table with our bad dude reraiser at around 7-9% PFR. Usually these types of players are average or better. On seemingly safe boards they are betting the flop and turn.

I assume if you raise from EP its an easier laydown since they know you are raising with 99+ AJ, KQ, AQ+. Thus they are reraising with 99+? maybe JJ+, AK.

From MP is where the challenge is. Mayne raising hands in my book from that position I reraise with 99+ AQ+.

Are you more prone to call down with AK when there is 2 flush on the board because your opponent might just have the flush draw like AQs or AKs?

Are their any guidelines for this?

I generally fold if I don't hit anything with AQ or worse. I feel there are not many reraising hands my AQ, ace high, can beat.

I figure with hands like TT or 99 you bet or reraise the 3 better to find out where your at. That way you can get away from the hand cheaper than calling down. Or do you call down on low boards considering position and if his reraising hands are 2 overs or a pair.

It all seems very position oriented. I hate to pay off a KK with my TT or JJ. Or pay off a 99 with my AK all the way.