Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2005, 11:43 PM

Default Why John McCain should run in 2008

a post for the REPUBLICAN from the LIBERAL - agh...

I think the biggest problem in politics today is everyone is a politician. - Everyone's a selfish fucker who would sell their constitutants short for a few extra grand in the re-election fund.

I was thinking back though, to when Minnesota didn't have a politican - we had Jesse Ventura - and most folks can say what they want about the lunkhead, but he wasn't political -
and as a result, he beat two established canidates (including our current Senator, Norm Coleman) - and became governor.

I remember seeing this special where Drew Barrymore was asking why more young people aren't in politics? - Simple - young people HATE politics - when you're younger, it's more black and white, and you instantly gain an instant disrespect for snake oil salesmen and politicans - and I think if they could vote for somebody they felt was real, that they'd be there in a heartbeat in Nov., even if they disagree with some parts of the platform.

I think people would unite behind someone who isn't a crony or politician, both Republicans and Democrats, and I think they would force Congress to work with the man or risk getting their asses booted.

I'd really like to see McCain run in 2008 - depending on who his opponent is, I'd consider voting for him.

So there, Republicans - something you can actually do for the good of the whole country and not just DC - get McCain on the ballot. -

RB
Old 10-08-2005, 12:09 AM

Default Re: Why John McCain should run in 2008

The truth of the matter is that the two party primary system that we have doesn't do a good job of representing the middle. Its a shame because most of the good judgement that does exist in politics comes from the middle. Clinton was certainly in the middle, but McCain just doesn't have the intelligence or charisma that Clinton had to overcome his "middleness".
Old 10-08-2005, 12:13 AM

neither did Jesse - totally devoid of charm -

he still won -

I think you underestimate the value of believing someone is honest - if you believe that, you can get them to vote for that person even if they disagree with the politics - believing in the person's intentions.

RB
Old 10-08-2005, 12:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you underestimate the value of believing someone is honest

[/ QUOTE ]

While I think you are partly right about Jesse, I think comparisons between a statewide election and a nationwide election just don't cut it. A lot can happen in a statewide election that just couldn't/wouldn't in a presidential election.
Old 10-08-2005, 12:29 AM

Well, two things. While I think while the Ventura thing was interesting, there is a big difference between a Minnesota election and a National election. The other thing is, while I agree that the counrty as a whole is probably ready for someone more honest than the current administration, I'm not sure that that means the republican base is. That being said, I think there is going to be a lot of fighting within the republican party between now and the next election, and I would not be suprised if a group endorsing a more honest and reasonable McCain candidacy emerged. I'm keeping my fingers crossed, but I'm far to cynical to become optimistic.
Old 10-08-2005, 08:30 PM

Screw McCain. Im a republican but the guy has openly said he wants to outlaw online gaming to "protect the family."

Indy
Old 10-08-2005, 09:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Screw McCain. Im a republican but the guy has openly said he wants to outlaw online gaming to "protect the family."

Indy

[/ QUOTE ]

Let's just hope he's ineffective at that task. I make more money at B&Ms anyway!

I like him; he might become an addition to the list of Republicans I vote for.

BTW, I can't believe he hasn't been called "Democrat Lite," or the like, in this thread yet.

-ptmusic
Old 10-08-2005, 09:41 PM

Hey Whiskey, I respect your posts a lot and I think that (unlike G-Dub) Mr. McCain is a true hero, but if he is ever elected president he will pander to corporations and the christian right faster than you can say Jack Robinson.

He will do so for one simple reason ... he will have to. All republicans need the support from their base to be successful presidents, and (if he doesn't know already) he will find this out very quickly. The commonality between both Big Co and the christian right is that they feel that if someone isn't 100% for them, they are 100% against them. They are also not at all afraid to eat their own.

Again, although I respect the man and his service immensely, imo he will act like any typical ultra-conservative if ever elected to the high office.
Old 10-09-2005, 07:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Again, although I respect the man and his service immensely, imo he will act like any typical ultra-conservative if ever elected to the high office.

[/ QUOTE ]

You could be right, but I can't think of any ultra-conservative who has been elected to the high office in my lifetime, except for maybe Ronald Reagan.

Do you think McCain would act like Reagan[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]?