Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-15-2005, 02:15 PM

Default Re: Coming out of the closet . . .

I dunno, gay more commonly refers to an alleged "lack of masculinity" with respect to any number of endeavors or choices. Well, at least when my friends use gay that is what they mean/intend. Its not a pejorative term thrown at people to imply a sexual oreintation that is homosexual. That term would be "[censored]" and other much less endearing stuff.

Gay is more akin to the pejorative way of refering to something/some action that might otherwise be less offensively be referred to as "meterosexual" or "effeminate". Its still perjorative, but not regarding sexual oreintation. When somebody says "that's gay", I don't think homosexual, I think weak or unmasculine or emotional or effeminate or passive or just plain stupid etc.

Maybe that is just perpetuating a unfounded stereotype regarding "homosexuals" and the "homosexual lifestyle" that should not be tolerated or allowed, in much the same way that "jew" didn't refer to jewish people but to one who was cheap, and "cheapness" is/was an unfounded sterotype about jewish peoples.

But then again popular "gay/homosexual" culture does take some measure of pride in its dismissal of social norms cenetered around supposedly "masculine" beliefs and attitudes. Wasn't the now played out queer eye in large part all about the celebration of a gay or "unmasculine" lifestyle, while jewish people didn't celebrate their cheapnesss, for example.

That's probabaly missing the point though, as "gay" is meant as an inult when used to refer to someone or something as gay, and hurful intent is what counts. Even if you are not actually intending to call them homosexual, you are intending (I think) to insult or hurt them because they allegedly have "homosexual-like traits". And even though homosexuals refer to themselves as gay and fight for gay and lesbian rights, they are not doing so in an unflattering manner, while pointing out someone "gaybetting" isn't exactly a compliment regarding their playing style.

i dunno, i think i may have convinced myself of the oposite of what i thought when i started typing this, but typing "gaybetting" is fun, even if it is wrong. I'll stop
Old 04-15-2005, 02:16 PM

Default Re: Warning: Offensive content.

[ QUOTE ]
If you have to invest five paragraphs explaining how a pejorative isn't a pejorative then you need to consider that the casual reader won't see it that way.

[/ QUOTE ]

You gotta admit, it was one helluva explanation though!

And nobody liked my jewbet joke? [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

See the new thread re gaybetting or grrbetting or whatever the hell we end up calling it . . . I have no problem with the term, but like I said, it'd be nice to have one where we can post on how to deal with it without getting that post deleted.
Old 04-15-2005, 02:16 PM

your reading comprehension skills sux
Old 04-15-2005, 02:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
your reading comprehension skills sux

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 04-15-2005, 02:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
typing "gaybetting" is fun.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, but I'm going to stop for the good of the world, my mom and starving children in Africa.

Krishan
Old 04-15-2005, 02:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Are you seriously denying that the term gaybet could reasonably be construed as offensive?

[/ QUOTE ]

What have you been smoking? I'm saying exactly the opposite. If someone has to take a bunch of time explaining why something isn't offensive then it probably is.
Old 04-15-2005, 02:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Are you seriously denying that the term gaybet could reasonably be construed as offensive?

[/ QUOTE ]

What have you been smoking? I'm saying exactly the opposite. If someone has to take a bunch of time explaining why something isn't offensive then it probably is.

[/ QUOTE ]

I never said it wasn't offensive to some . . . I said that it was a wonderfully descriptive term that parallels in an unexpected way the way the word "gay" is actually used in real life. Sorry, but I just think that's cool.
Old 04-15-2005, 02:29 PM

Oops, sorry. Everyone's right. My reading comprehension sucks. Carry on.
Old 04-15-2005, 02:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'll stop

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think you should, unless you want to.
Old 04-15-2005, 02:56 PM

And we just had a thread complimenting the forum for how good it was and the amount of constructive poker posts then we have this thread [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]. Would the term homobet be less abrasive, what about queerbet (queer would actually have a closer meaning than gay)?