Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-2005, 02:24 PM

Default TPTK facing a min-raise

33. don't remember reads.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t30 (9 handed) converter

CO (t225)
Button (t870)
SB (t1710)
BB (t878)
Hero (t1015)
UTG+1 (t245)
MP1 (t1267)
MP2 (t540)
MP3 (t1250)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t100</font>, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, Button calls t100, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>.

Flop: (t245) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t160</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to t320</font>, Hero ??
Old 07-07-2005, 02:27 PM

Default Re: TPTK facing a min-raise

I think you're ahead. I think the line is call, then C/R push the turn.

It looks like he has you on a CB and wants to show strength.

Oh and if it checks through on the turn push the river. Hope he hasn't found a real hand by then.

I have a lot of trouble giving people credit for sets heads-up. Maybe that's a leak.
Old 07-07-2005, 02:32 PM

I find people show down a lower kicker or even a completely foolish hand at least as often as they will show down a set (at the 22s, anyway). I too find it difficult to put someone on a set heads-up (esp. given this action), and I don't think it's a leak at all.
Old 07-07-2005, 02:41 PM

hm, i probably don't raise preflop here... i don't really have any commentary on your hand at all, i just wanted to say something to you:

i think it's very good that you're posting more post flop decision hands. various people have attempted at times to make the forum more about post flop play, and given up in turn. it's good to have you around. also, because you play looser and more aggressively early than most of the other players on the forum, and/or their advice, but are most likely a winner (i'm assuming here).

just wanted to say thanks i guess.

citanul
Old 07-07-2005, 02:52 PM

This looks like a push or fold situation to me. Button has put half his stack into the pot already, and if you call, his remaining chips will be like 2/5 the pot. Just betting the pot on the flop makes the decision a lot easier, but you're also basically comitting yourself to go broke with TPTK. So reads are like cool.

The way the action went down, I'd just push right here. I'd say you have him beat or tied around 60% of the time, he's got an overpair or a set like 35% of the time, and 5% of the time hes just dicking around. With all the chips already in the middle, a push seems good to me.

A fatty checkraise attempt might have another way to play this particular flop, as it doesn't seem like you fear the free card too much.

Pots like this are why I like UB's newish format a lot better, lot more options with 1500 starting.
Old 07-07-2005, 02:58 PM

Without some reason to do otherwise, against a single opponent early in an SNG with no obvious flush draws and only improbable straight draws out there I'm pretty willing to get my chips in the middle here. So the question is how to get KQ,QJ or JJ, which I think are probably the most likely holdings that you're up against, to come with you, wand to a lesser extent losing the least to the odd AA-KK. I think the line of calling this and then check-calling the turn is fine. If the turn gets checked behind, I make a pretty small river value bet. Otherwise I'm calling down.

EDIT: Also, as citanul alluded to, I wouldn't let it get you down that the STT forum isn't agreeing with your postflop play that much. While this is a great place to go for bubble advice, postflop discussions are kind of limited and so I don't think there's much serious postflop wizardry here.
Old 07-07-2005, 02:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This looks like a push or fold situation to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a Q42 board and your push will make him fold JJ.

Call and get it in on the turn.
Old 07-07-2005, 03:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you mean to call and push the turn or call and expect him to push a turn? I'd think that something that can't beat a Q would check behind and fold to the ensuing river push anyways. Plus there's the few times he's got like JJ or 99 and hits the miracle card when he wouldve folded the flop push.

Actually on second thought, I might like this line better if you've decided to get it all in. Since there's aparrently no card that could dissuade you from pushing it in, might as well give a chance for the other guy to hang himself.
Old 07-07-2005, 03:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you mean to call and push the turn or call and expect him to push a turn? I'd think that something that can't beat a Q would check behind and fold to the ensuing river push anyways.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a good thing that never happens at Party [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 07-07-2005, 03:08 PM

I call and check/call the turn, and I don't think it's close.
Pushing the turn just folds everything that we beat and makes it too easy for Villain to play the hand correctly.
Checking/calling the turn allows Villain to make a horrible mistake with a set.

I don't see why I want to take the lead back on this one give the dry board.