Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2005, 11:58 AM

Default Re: Your forum makes me sick

[ QUOTE ]
Im a frequenter of OTT, and dropped in a little after the hurricane hit, hoping for good POV's of the situation. Most everyone in here, sans 2-3 of you, act like little children, except with more sarcasm. You fail to even consider the other sides argument, and just spout what your respective party leaders tell you too. Its sick. Not that you are the only people to do so, the whole country seems this way, I just assumed that Twoplustwo'ers might be above all of it. Where's any sembelance of objectivity?

[/ QUOTE ]

nh
Old 09-06-2005, 12:01 PM

woops, I forgot where I was [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 09-06-2005, 12:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Where's any sembelance of objectivity?

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would you expect it? This is a place that is, most of the time, dedicated to people giving ther political opinions. Opinions are, definitionally, not objective.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, here is where I am comming from, more than anything, playing poker, has taught me to think about everything in mathematical terms, even religion, personalities etc. Mathematics is usually very clear cut, with little gray area (although some). Hence why I made an assumption that most people who read twoplustwo, are more apt to think in the same way as myself. Dunno. Im a fan of dragnet politics. I just coined that phrase......ie, just hte facts ma'am.
Old 09-06-2005, 01:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well, here is where I am comming from, more than anything, playing poker, has taught me to think about everything in mathematical terms, even religion, personalities etc

[/ QUOTE ]

I would suggest that this is a pretty narrow world view and that it would make you a more complete person to step beyond that type of thinking. It has its place, but that place is not as broad as your statement suggests.
Old 09-06-2005, 01:24 PM

Default Don\'t Let the Door Hit You.....Where the......

......good Lord split ya.
Old 09-06-2005, 01:56 PM

Default Re: What I get out of the politics forum

[ QUOTE ]
In the real world, people are all biased. There is no "objectivity." Everyone is the product of their education, their experiences, or the acceptance of whatever group of people they count themselves a part of.

[/ QUOTE ]

We can agree on some things.
Old 09-06-2005, 03:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you really think that many people actually truly consider different views about various issues? I assume that most people don't

[/ QUOTE ]

There are quite a few posters that make an arguement, then provide links and factual backup. Cyrus, Myrtle, Chris Alger, to name a few....

I do try to do this for many of my arguments, but should concentrate on it more.

A major problem is that indisputable facts are taken as opinions, and then refuted by a one line quote from Hannity or Rush.

I'm sure that happens on the other side of the aisle as well, I just don't notice it as much given my views.
Old 09-06-2005, 04:20 PM

I guess that is what politics do. I'm conservative and i say things that dissapoint me about the republican party. Where most of this hostile postings comes into play when someone is wrong and they dont want to admit it, liberals and conservatives, then they go on the offensive and just attack the other poster. I guess its human nature....

Another part is that this is an online forum so people have all the time in the world to make up a responce, research things online (as we all know most online sources suck).

Just some of my 2cents
Old 09-06-2005, 10:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My question to you is how can someone not consider the other side of an argument?

[/ QUOTE ]

When a political movement declares their doctrines to be Divinely Revealed Truth, then considering counterarguments becomes a political form of heresy. Cults work this way every day, and so can political parties and political movements if they metasticize. At the moment, the right wing has absolutely gone off the deep end in this direction, and you see it in virtually every post by party apologists here. "The Leader can do no wrong". "The Party can do no wrong". "There is only one True Party". "The Party represents the Will of God". "Opposition to the Party is the work of the Devil". Etc, etc, etc. Read the forum with that in mind and it makes a lot more sense.

q/q
Old 09-06-2005, 10:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
My question to you is how can someone not consider the other side of an argument?

[/ QUOTE ]

When a political movement declares their doctrines to be Divinely Revealed Truth, then considering counterarguments becomes a political form of heresy. Cults work this way every day, and so can political parties and political movements if they metasticize. At the moment, the right wing has absolutely gone off the deep end in this direction, and you see it in virtually every post by party apologists here. "The Leader can do no wrong". "The Party can do no wrong". "There is only one True Party". "The Party represents the Will of God". "Opposition to the Party is the work of the Devil". Etc, etc, etc. Read the forum with that in mind and it makes a lot more sense.

q/q

[/ QUOTE ]

Yet you mention nothing about the liberals. How ironic.