Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Other Poker Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2005, 10:14 AM

Default TD bet check bet

I just remarked from analyzing my play in the last months that pattern A was a winning "strategy" compared to pattern B and it surprised me...
In both patterns you raise preflop, get the button and you are called by the BB and sometimes also the SB.
Basically it's at most 3 handed with both SB & BB, at least HU against the BB.
In both patterns you draw 2, like your opponents.
In both patterns you miss your first draw.
In both patterns your opponent check behind you.

pattern A : bet check bet with 2/2/1
pattern B : bet bet bet with 2/1/1

normal ? curious ? size sample too small ? obvious ?
Old 08-08-2005, 04:10 PM

Default Re: TD bet check bet

[ QUOTE ]
I just remarked from analyzing my play in the last months that pattern A was a winning "strategy" compared to pattern B and it surprised me...
In both patterns you raise preflop, get the button and you are called by the BB and sometimes also the SB.
Basically it's at most 3 handed with both SB & BB, at least HU against the BB.
In both patterns you draw 2, like your opponents.
In both patterns you miss your first draw.
In both patterns your opponent check behind you.

pattern A : bet check bet with 2/2/1
pattern B : bet bet bet with 2/1/1

normal ? curious ? size sample too small ? obvious ?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm having a hard time understanding what you're doing here, because you say "in both patterns you miss your first draw", yet pattern B has you drawing one? (It's also not entirely clear which draw goes with which bet or check--- is "bet bet bet" 2nd, 3rd, and 4th round or 1st, 2nd, and 3rd?) I'm guessing 1,2,3. (In which case it is 'raise bet bet', right?)

It's not too surprising that pattern A is profitable, because it requires that your opponent(s) bet after neither the first nor the second draw. You probably have a good deal of folding equity in this situation, since the pot is small and your opponents are showing weakness. This does not mean it is a good idea to miss your first draw. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Sometimes the proper line is bet/check/fold, or bet/check/call, or even bet/fold, and all these are likely less profitable than the 'A' line.

With 'B' it's entirely possible you are putting a big bet on the third round in situations where you should not. Again there is a sampling error, because even when putting that big bet in is correct, it is not as profitable as putting it in when you are pat.

And, of course, your sample size may be too small. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]