Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2005, 08:03 PM

Default Re: Best place to go to university in USA? (Esp. California)

[ QUOTE ]

Seems unlikely given that you aren't familiar with the schools already to some extent, and you care a lot about region which is normally not a relevant factor unless you are indifferent between departments.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this last bit is far more common than you might think.
Old 04-25-2005, 08:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
UCSD is a top school placed in the city where the average 18-25 population could care less about education and it’s from this stark contrast where the notion that UCSD is boring came from.

[/ QUOTE ]

From what I understand, it is "boring" because it is in La Jolla, which is basically a very quiet city where the average age of its citizens is > 50 yrs old.

DN

[/ QUOTE ]

UCSD isn't in "La Jolla" as it is perceived, that of rich old white people driving exotics. Most of the school's nearby housing is in what can be termed "UTC Area." It is still mostly older people and no real college life is in the area. There is also very little greek life. However, you're in San Diego and you have to try really hard to not find something to do on any given night.
Old 04-25-2005, 08:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
UCSD is a top school placed in the city where the average 18-25 population could care less about education and it’s from this stark contrast where the notion that UCSD is boring came from.

[/ QUOTE ]

Letting education rule your life 24/7 is where the notion came from.

There is a fine line between enjoying life and valuing your education. There is a reason that UCSD gets the rap it does.

[/ QUOTE ]

I will say again this repuation comes mostly from the Science and Engineering departments. The econ grad students I have interacted with at UCSD were, for the most part, very atypical of that attitude.
Old 04-25-2005, 08:33 PM

I think I am good enough to have a change of getting into one of the top 5 unis. If I applied to everyone of the the top dozen, it would be very unlikely that I get into none. I have good academic results thus far, and will have good references.

Yes, the academic program is the most important factor. But I will be living near the uni for 6 years. Thus the quality of the city is massively important to me. It is like going for a job - there are many factors to consider - how far it will advance my career, how good my quality of life will be, how near my family will I be (the biggest downside of Cali) etc.
Old 04-25-2005, 10:54 PM

also, keep in mind that, when reading people's opinions of where they went to school, undergrads and grad students often have very different experiences at the same institution.
Old 04-25-2005, 11:49 PM

Yes.
Old 04-26-2005, 11:45 AM

Whatever you do, do NOT come to Princeton under any circumstances. Ever. Not even if they throw in a good salary, a BMW, and a few cheerleaders. Just don't do it.

I'm actually starting my Ph.D. at Penn in September. The school/city do not seem completely horrendous, but, let's face it: it ain't CA.

- Tash
Old 04-26-2005, 12:01 PM

If you get into Harvard - you go to Harvard. If you get into Stanford you go to Stanford. If you get into MIT you go there (geek central). Other than that, go West young man. If you get into a combination of the above - you're a genius and probably shouldn't be wasting your time on these boards!!!
Old 04-26-2005, 12:48 PM

Not sure how the Universities rank, but both major schools in Arizona (Univesity of Arizona and Arizona State University) meet your other criteria nicely. I'd give the edge to the University of Arizona, Tucson is a smaller more lively and livable town. Also Arizona tends to be more affordable to live in than California.
Old 04-26-2005, 12:54 PM

Santa Clara University

...and it's not even close.