Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Other Poker Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2002, 12:47 PM

Default basic omaha 8/b - raise or call

online omaha 8b .50/1 - it's the river and there are still 6 in the pot. i've made the nut flush, but alas have no low and there are a million out there. somone who i have reason to think has the nut low bets, and i'm next, with 4 players to act behind me. should i just call, hoping for a bunch of calls behind me, or raise, hoping a few players will call anyway, but increasing the risk that i'll only get a call/reraise from the nut low?
Old 09-25-2002, 02:03 PM

Default Re: basic omaha 8/b - raise or call

I think that would really depend how the hand has been going previously. If there have been a lot of bets and everyone has been calling/raising, then it's very likely that they will still call. Did you get the nut flush on the river? If so, they may not. But if you had the flush before the river, chances are they were drawing for a low and will call unless they got counterfeited. In $.50/1 as long as the pot is a decent size I don't think many people would call to the river to fold on a $1 bet.
Old 09-25-2002, 04:20 PM

The above[War Deker]makes alot of good points..Normaly It takes alot of feel to push[bet]orpull[call].Normaly I tend to call with alot of players still to act behind me.Sometimes the nut low will raise after 3-4 callers have entered the pot then you can make it 3bets..BUT this is $.50/1.00 on the net{no table image}RAISE you will get callers maybe even a raiser. [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] Again the above post makes sence. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 09-25-2002, 06:33 PM

Nicky - The bottom line is you should raise here. My reasoning follows.

You wrote, “with 4 players to act behind me.” One or more of them might also have made a flush. It's not at all unusual for more than one player to make a flush when one is possible. In fact, (if my math is correct) one of your opponents here is more likely than not to also have made a flush. An opponent might tend to over-value a non-nut flush here. Any of your opponents with a flush (or even less), who incorrectly put you on a nut low for your raise would tend to stay in the hand. And some opponents with a flush who correctly put you on a flush might call hoping their flush was better than yours. They might suspect you of raising with the nut low plus an inferior flush hoping to knock out anyone with a better, but non-nut, flush (not at all a bad play in some situations). 

More than two hands out of five (in a 10 handed game) when one person is dealt A2XX, at least one other person is also dealt A2XX. Thus it might very well be that more than one of your opponents in this situation has the nut low. If so, and if you raise, someone with the nut low is at least expected to call and might even re-raise (or the original bettor may re-raise), allowing you to four-bet it. If you can catch only one person in the middle who also has the nut low or who has a non-nut flush for four bets, that amounts to the same profit for you as a single bet from each of four callers (also four bets). Catch two of those people in the middle and you will have doubled your profit by raising. Catch three of those people in the middle and you will have tripled your profit by raising.

If you just call, some or all of the four opponents to act behind you might fold to the single bet anyway.

Finally, although I’ll agree this is only a very, very remote possibility, by raising here you give yourself a chance to scoop the pot. Everyone may fold to your raise. (It’s not likely, but I’ve seen it happen).

All things considered, you should raise here.

Just my opinion.

Buzz
Old 09-26-2002, 03:45 PM

I think in a game like this, you're slightly more likely to get two cold-callers of a raise than four callers for a single bet, or one cold-caller instead of two single callers.

Also, as you pointed out, raising allows the original bettor to three-bet if he wants to, and you can happily cap with your irreproducable high hand (note that a flush can't be quartered for high). Otherwise, you're hoping one of the players behind you does your dirty work for you, and I don't like putting that much responsibility in my opponents' hands.

O)))