Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium-Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-08-2005, 12:23 PM

Default Re: I\'m playing a 480xBB pot with AA, 100NL deep

You gotta 3-bet this PF. There are several reasons. A) You are too deep to mess around. B) Villians re-raise does not define his hand since he is doing this with alot of holding. C) Most importantly, he might figure you for a re-steal and push marginal holdings.
Old 12-08-2005, 12:37 PM

Here's my thinking through the hand:

Pre-flop I didn't want to make it too easy for him to read my hand which is why I called. I think he knows I don't need a premium hand to call his 3-bets and I can use this to my advantage because my read tells me his handrange is a lot narrower than he thinks mine is.

The flop looked pretty innocent even though TT is a hand he could have. My original plan was to either raise the flop or the turn and since he was so eager into putting money in the pot I decided to wait and let the pot grow, making it harder for him to get away. Like I said, he was really aggressive post-flop, like a steamroller, so getting money in the pot was not a problem.

The turn card was not as pretty as I was hoping for. One of the two most likely hands he could have had just made a set so I started thinking this as a WA/WB situation. I almost raised but then thought he might get away from KK if I did, so I just called.

If my original read was right, the river was a good card for me, because it made it less likely for Villain to have QQ. I was a tad worried about AQ but my gut told me this was not part of his handrange. I called expecting to see either TT or KK.

Makes sense?
Old 12-08-2005, 02:03 PM

I think the problem is that you are betting a lot of money that give his pre flop action his hand range is {JJ-AA}.

I think you'll see a hand like 55 or 77 here more often than you think.
Old 12-08-2005, 06:10 PM

If he's three betting you frequently. You need to expand his hand range. This also means that your normal WA/WB situation when he also has an overpair is no longer true. How sick would you be if you let 98o crack your aces b/c you never raised? Against someone this aggressive the appropriate action is to reraise preflop then bomb the flop. Not b/c this is the optimal way to play Aces but b/c it sets up opportunities down the line for you to resteal and forces the villain to make tough decisions. This line is an offensive strategy whereas you the calling line is essentially a defensive play (protecting yourself from being bluffed). Do you have any read on the villain that says he'll play a 480BB pot with only one pair? One of the secrets to be a successful lag is to play small or medium sized pots with one pair then when you have two pair or better play a big pot. People tend not to believe you have it when you are splashing around all the time.