Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2005, 06:00 PM

Default Re: QQ in CO early in a $33 RESULTS

You are (mostly) all focusing on MP as was I at the time.

I think BB is the more troubling villain here. MP was almost certainly on a spade draw, with some kind of T possible I suppose. I don't know because this was on Pacific and you can't see hole cards for losers.

I called and BB called as well. BB had 45o and both MP and I went home early.

I wondered if the presence of the BB still in the hand and still to act after me would make a difference to anyone. Looks like you all analyzed it the same way I did. I really didn't think MP had the 5 and I couldn't see BB with it either. Figured one for a spade draw and the other for T or some low-mid PP. BB couldn't know that MP would go all in and he had to be worried about the flush draw with 2 others in the pot. I think he misplayed it, but he caught the luckbox.
Old 07-21-2005, 06:21 PM

In general I think your preflop raise to T70 was too small. With such high implied odds limpers and blinds are going to call with alot of speculative junk. It's even worse because you have no reads on the players.

QQ really doesn't want to play the pot 3-way even in position, and BB is getting 3.5:1 to call assuming limper just calls, and can go with any two.
Old 07-22-2005, 02:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In general I think your preflop raise to T70 was too small. With such high implied odds limpers and blinds are going to call with alot of speculative junk.

[/ QUOTE ]

And this is a problem because...

[ QUOTE ]
QQ really doesn't want to play the pot 3-way even in position,

[/ QUOTE ]

Could you elaborate on why that is? QQ 3-way with position seems like a very ideal situation.
Old 07-22-2005, 05:15 PM

Once the blinds are higher, especially when there are antes and each call is costing more, I don't mind QQ 3-ways, because i have a better read on my opponents and their possible holdings.

However, early in tournies I find it true that unless you can isolate and dominate preflop, big hands like QQ-AA, AK are VERY susceptible to getting busted by unlikely culprits when only raised to 70. I raise to 5-6x BB early with these types, hoping to isolate.

I might be kind of results oriented here because in my last tourney I did almost the exact same thing with Aces trying to be tricky and got busted by 7-3 suited on a 9-7-3 flop. With folks only calling off a tiny portion of their stacks, it's +EV to make these calls PF as long as we keep paying them off. That's why I really would rather have 5-6suited in position, early in a tourney than QQ in position, early in the tourney. I don't have statistical info to back it up, I just am basing this on a limited 6 months of experience.

But there are my two cents.

Brad
Old 07-21-2005, 06:03 PM

Default Re: QQ in CO early in a $33

I definitely call here. First thing, early in a MTT I prefer I bigger PF raise w QQ's behind 1 limper as I try to get the most out of my big hands and I know they'll call anyways.

As far as calling on the flop, if he turns over A5s then so be it. Im not concerned about TT's or he wouldn't be trying to push me out. He may see your bet on the flop as weak w the flush draw out there and decide to make a play at the pot w (JT/QT/KT) or the flush draw putting u on a mid pair or high cards.

Well that's my thinking here.