Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-14-2003, 07:51 PM

Default Complicated Hand

Game: Online 10/20 6-person ring.
The only players that count are me and UTG sitting immediately to my left. I was seeing him for the first time but had the perception that he was pretty good. Played very tight but when he bet was aggressive and generally successful, altho he showed some hands where he had been betting 2nd or 3rd pair, but, in all cases he won.

The hand in question had many possibilities that include made hands, a flush and a straight. Here it is:

UTG: Call
UTG+1: Fold
UTG+1: Call
Button: Fold
SB: Fold
BB (me)dealt K [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img] 6 [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img] Check

Flop: 2 [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img] 6 [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img] 4 [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img]
I bet
UTG calls
UTG+1 calls

Turn: 5 [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img]
I bet
UTG raises
UTG+1 folds
What should I do? Remember, I have but 15 seconds for this decision.

I have all the cards for the the remainder of this hand and will post later, but am interested to see how you analyze it.
Old 07-15-2003, 12:03 PM

Default Re: Complicated Hand

Given your hand, I would probably have bet the flop, as you did, and then check-called the rest of the way, paying off a made straight or flush. This would induce bluffs if ahead and hold your losses to a minimum if behind.

Betting the turn sets you up for a semi-bluff raise which puts you in a pickle. Given you described him as a good player, I think you have to call him down as there's a good enough chance he's semi-bluffing to warrant that. It's hard to release top pair against a good player in a spot like this.

I'd be interested to know what hands this very tight player would limp in with UTG.
Old 07-15-2003, 12:18 PM

Default Re: Complicated Hand

TE:

On reflection I believe you are correct. As I said, I had not seen him enough to know his entry standards. However, in this hand he showed his cards, I think to taunt or advertise he sometimes bluffs: He had A [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img] and 5 [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img] Does this tell yu anythig (I, forone, wuld not haveplayed UTG with that hand, evenin SH.)

In any case, I will certainly keep a close watch on him in the future.

Brian