Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2005, 09:52 PM

Default weird 77 hand

80/160 mixed game at bellagio, this orbit is hold'em. so far i am running the table over in the other games mainly due to a good run of cards.

5 handed.

UTG open raises. he plays stud8 very badly, but not sure what that means about his hold'em play. i 3-bet in the CO with 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. Lady coldcalls 3 on the button. Blinds fold out. UTG calls.

Flop: 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

UTG bets. I raise. Button calls two cold. UTG calls.

Turn: 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

UTG bets. I raise. Button calls two cold. UTG calls.

River: A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

UTG checks. I... ?

and is it a super easy choice?
Old 11-09-2005, 09:56 PM

Default Re: weird AK hand

I would fold to the turn bet, if not before.
Old 11-09-2005, 10:15 PM

Default Re: weird 77 hand

Check. It's an easy check. The thing is you can beat draws that did not make it however if you bluff at it you will get called by the hands that beat you and win nothing more when you win. You're hand is no good for anything else than beating a busted draw.

Also the between the lady/cold caller and the UTG you will not move them out for one bet.

Additionally suppose you take a stab at it and get raised then what. Particulary if the lady missed her draw and folded and the UTG raises. You can only cry/fold or cry/call both no good

So in closing I think those opponents are not being moved off a hand better then yours = easy check [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 11-09-2005, 10:16 PM

This is a great post about a tough spot. I would bet this river most of the time.
Old 11-10-2005, 08:22 AM

Default Re: weird AK hand

A lot of times, but not always, when there's a flush draw on the board and there's a bet and you raise, the guy who bet will put you on flush draw, and bet not-so-strong-hand on the turn as long as it doesn't complete the flush.

Also, when the board pairs on the turn, a lot of people bet. At the same time, if you're behind, you're in bad spot.

Soh
Old 11-10-2005, 08:28 AM

I think checking is better than betting because of the lady.

She cold-called 3 bets BTF (oh my...!) and keep calling with a flush draw board. It's highly likely that she has something like AQd or AJd, maybe AKd.

Also, the better probably won't fold a better hand that yours.

Soh
Old 11-10-2005, 10:05 AM

Please explain the thinking behind the turn raise; I just don't get it. I think the turn is a clear fold absent better reads.
Old 11-10-2005, 12:24 PM

Looks like a "bet or lose" situation.

UTG has pretty clearly announced a PP (though flushie draw is not out of the question). If he has a set/boat he played it very, very badly.
Lay calling 3 cold preflop could be on overs (including a flushie draw) or weakly played PP though not AA,KK.

As such, since you have played your hand as strongly as possible and are assuredly behind on the river, the Ace is a great card. Bet it. Lady with TT-QQ (88?) seems ripe to lay it down since she was so passive up until now (the Ace now is the last straw) and she may very well fold.

Not betting the river is giving up. Pretty easy bet/fold, imho.
Old 11-10-2005, 12:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]

UTG has pretty clearly announced a PP (though flushie draw is not out of the question). If he has a set/boat he played it very, very badly.
Lay calling 3 cold preflop could be on overs (including a flushie draw) or weakly played PP though not AA,KK.

As such, since you have played your hand as strongly as possible and are assuredly behind on the river, the Ace is a great card. Bet it. Lady with TT-QQ (88?) seems ripe to lay it down since she was so passive up until now (the Ace now is the last straw) and she may very well fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like your analysis of this hand except there is nothing easy about it. This is a very tough spot, especially the turn. No attractive options.
Old 11-10-2005, 01:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I like your analysis of this hand except there is nothing easy about it. This is a very tough spot, especially the turn. No attractive options.

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, it's tough. but if it's a bet or lose then you must bet. it's that simple. the analysis was clearely not that simple, though, and i regret the inference that it may have been.