Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-24-2005, 03:35 PM

Default strange set hand

this hand was from an online 1/2 NL game from a few nights ago a friend emailed me about. he had no read on villian. was curious what you all thought:

im the button with pocket sixes.

middle raise to 4....2 cold calls behind..i call ..sb folds BB calls...

FLOP 10 6 4 all diamonds...

orig raiser checks.. middle pos bets 7..fold to me..i raise to 14...orig
raiser calls 14 cold..middle pos folds..heads up...

TURN 5cl

check i bet 40...calls...AK? A of Diamonds? or slowplaying a monster? why no
raise??

RIVER 3 BOARD 10 6 4 5 3 no more diamonds..

he bets 70 INTO ME NOW??

what do you do....pots 140 he bets 70...
Old 06-24-2005, 03:40 PM

Default Re: strange set hand

I don't like flop minraise or turn bet.

raise the flop for real or smoothcall and turn bet but don't do both.
Old 06-24-2005, 03:47 PM

I don't like the flop min-raise... you are giving 6-1 for anyone to call... I think I make it more like $30 and play it from there.... thoughts? But stack sizes would make it easier

The way the hand played out, I have to call this... but maybe that is cause I am married to most of my sets.
Old 06-24-2005, 03:56 PM

Hmm, interesting.

MP open min-raised. Must have a little something, PP or Ax could be likely.

On the flop, he check/calls a bet and a raise. Unfortunately, your raise wasn't nearly big enough to determine if he had a made hand or was calling with odds for the flush draw. He isn't getting 4/1 for the flush draw, but with the original raiser to act plus the implied odds that you'll be likely to give as a result of liking your hand so much, it isn't out of the realm of possibility to think he could be chasing down the flush.

On the turn, there's 53$ in the pot, and your 40$ bet gets called. So what could hands could he have here on the turn?

AA-JJ: I don't know. Not finding this especially likely with the passive play post-flop. Check/coldcall and check/call so far is screaming draw to me..

Not seeing any other pocket pair as being viable here, even with a set. TT, 66, 55, or 44 are going to be as scared of the flush as you are.

Could it be AdK-8x? Yes, but this would be a pretty bad turn call. Without a read indicating that this guy is no gouda, it'd be a poor call.

Could it be Ad7x? Yes. Calls the steep bet with the nut flush draw + OESD. I can see that.

On the river, he is telling you that he either has been sandbagging his flush, or the 3 hit him. Doubting he was sandbagging the flush, as if he had the goods he has absolutely NO reason to believe you won't go hard at the river. You've shown big strength on every street so far.

So, he either hit his straight with Ad7x, or is betting strong on a busted flush draw. Pretty good bet if he did hit the straight, as this looks very much busted-draw-esque.

I say lay it down unhappily and hope he shows you A7, but be prepared to puke in your mouth if he shows you A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Kx.