Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-02-2005, 04:53 AM

Default Re: GSIH -- Short-stacked NL strategy and 6 max games?

[ QUOTE ]
For crying out loud, all I said was that you needed to play middle position hands UTG when you are 6 handed. Because you are in the equivalent of middle position!

[/ QUOTE ]

First of all, my comments weren't meant to be any kind of personal attack. Sorry if it came across that way.

All *I* was saying was that it's confusing and unnecessary terminology to speak of "UTG 6-handed" and "UTG 10-handed" and so forth, when saying "first in 3 off the button" and "first in 7 off the button" makes things so much simpler and clearer.

If people think in the lines of "I'm UTG in a 6-handed game, I need to play more hands than if I was UTG in a full game," they are making things unnecessarily hard for themselves, and of course they are going to see shorthanded play as needing a different strategy than full game play, which it doesn't.

[ QUOTE ]
Oh by the way, this thread centers on Ed's short-stacked, super tight, 2-betting round NL strategy. If you aren't playing Ed's system, and were playing a deeper stack and a more wide variety of hands, then yes, some of those hands change value short-handed, and the way you play other hands change as well. So, there is something fundamentally different about short-handed play if you aren't playing Ed's system.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, I'm pretty bad at no-limit; in what way does strategy change so that if I say "I had XX 3 off the button and had the opportunity to open the betting," you need to ask "was it 6, 7, 8, 9 or 10-handed?" (and I mean above adapting to how your opponents play, which of course can (erroneously) change depending on the "handedness")?

The only other effect that the handedness of a game might have on strategy that I can think of (above your opponents changing their play) would be if the fact that several people in early positions have folded statistically significantly changes the composition of the remaining deck. I don't believe that this effect is big enough to be significant, but I might be wrong.

When it comes to this short-stacked NL strategy, I'm not specifically familiar with it (yet), except that from what I have read here, it's supposed to be some kind of "optimal" strategy, meaning that whatever your opponents do, they cannot beat you. I do not know if this is true, BUT, if it is supposed to be the BEST available strategy in its class, then it CANNOT need adaptation to shorthanded play. If it DID need adaptation to shorthanded play, those same situations that need adaptation shorthanded would also come up in a full game (although less frequently), and any adaptation NEEDED in the shorthanded game would also BENEFIT the strategy for the full game. So if you NEED to adapt this strategy to a shorthanded game, you are very well adviced to do the same adaptations in a full game!
Old 06-02-2005, 04:57 AM

Default Re: GSIH -- Short-stacked NL strategy and 6 max games?

Oh, one more thing:

[ QUOTE ]
For crying out loud, all I said was that you needed to play middle position hands UTG when you are 6 handed. Because you are in the equivalent of middle position!

[/ QUOTE ]

No, you are not "in the equivalent of middle position," you ARE in middle position!