Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-18-2005, 02:49 PM

Default Re: Tale of a fish

[ QUOTE ]
Gayle, I know people that really aren't particularly good at poker--in fact, they know very little about advanced concepts--yet they are consistent winners in Party NL games up to the 200 level. Keep improving... I bet you could make a decent amount now, but it could be even more if you commit to learning about the game.

[/ QUOTE ]
Anything above micro-limits frightens me (and my bankroll) senseless at the moment, I know I've learnt a lot but one of the biggest things I've learnt is how much I don't know. I mean, who would have imagined just how much can go into the simple decision to bet, raise, or fold? Certainly not me.

I look forward to the time when my ability, confidence, and bankroll are at a point where I can take on more serious stakes but I think that's going to be some time yet. Of course, the learning process is fun as well, stretching my brain AND taking small amounts of money off people at the same time is kind of a double whammy [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-18-2005, 02:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This leads to the question this thread is about, are people really that dumb?

[/ QUOTE ]

You view people that used to play like you as dumb only because you improved. The people that have improved past your current playing skill view you as dumb. And they also marvel at how you seem oblivious as to how easy it is to improve.

It is where you are looking from that influences what you can see.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'd dispute that, I'm inexperienced and realise it so am applying myself to learning all I can. That's smart, not dumb.

My point was that NOT trying to get better is dumb, looking back however I think I chose my words poorly. Maybe "passive" is a better word than "dumb" for what I meant, not passive in a poker sense but passive as in "not doing anything to actively improve their poor situation". There have been some valid answers given, chief amongst them is probably "It's just a bit of fun" but it still boggles my mind that they don't try to increase their fun by trying to win more. Different strokes for different folks I guess. In the mean time, I shouldn't complain even if I don't understand, these are the ones who are paying for my poker education [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-18-2005, 06:15 PM

Using your own terminology, there are plenty of "passive" and "active" people.

Some people are content to let the cards fall and call it luck, others are more competitive and take a more active approach to improving.
Old 04-18-2005, 06:34 PM

You won't find most of the bad players posting here. Reading, learning, posting hands, those aren't things that bad players take the time to do.