Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-13-2005, 02:19 AM

Default Party 15 Preflop Decision (or lack there of)- 99 utg

For a long time I was not limping anything UTG or UTG+1 in the party 15 games. Why? I was getting myself into trouble with some suited broadways, and I've always hated playing middle PP for set value. I've progressed beyond this foolish habit, and have started limping 77-88, a9s, ats, kjs, qjs at most tables.

I used to think I was giving up too much value by folding hands like 99 and ATs utg, and since I wasn't limping it, I was raising it. For whatever reason, I don't even know what the correct play with these hands are. Please enlighten and convince me.
Old 04-13-2005, 03:26 AM

Default Re: Party 15 Preflop Decision (or lack there of)- 99 utg

i raise 77-99, ATs, KJs UTG...QJs i might limp if the table is really loose...

also, if you are confused about this, i strongly suggest moving down limits as you appear to not be ready for the party 15-30
Old 04-13-2005, 03:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i raise 77-99, ATs, KJs UTG...QJs i might limp if the table is really loose...

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for your input. I actually raise ATs, but I didn't want to get into a discussion about that here because I didn't think that was the general consensus. I believe that I am wrong and that KJs should be raised, though I think its fairly close, and is game-dependent.

That being said, does everyone agree that 77-88 should be raised here? I had been happy folding them, and have started experimenting with limping.

What do you limp UTG, klepton... if you are auto-folding A9s without thinking, you are making a mistake...
Old 04-13-2005, 03:58 AM

This is something that I go back and forth about. It really depends on your table and how loose and how aggressive it is. I will tend to raise with those hands that you list in the tighter tables where I expect on average maybe 1 cold caller and one of the blinds to call. Otherwise I limp, although I will raise 99 UTG almost always. Hands like QJs should probably be folded in the tougher games, although I have a hard time doing this as it just looks so pretty [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. However, if the table is that tough, it's probably time to find a new table.
Old 04-13-2005, 07:07 AM

ATs is a stretch of an UTG raise, KJs is just madness. Maybe you should move down for a while too?

Elmo:

If you're running into trouble with suited broadways after limping in up front preflop then your trouble lays in your post flop because those pre flop limps are fine. I understand that you're dominated a lot of the time and occasionally you're forced to pay off but you often need to fold that top pair because it's pretty obvious when you're behind.
Old 04-13-2005, 11:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
ATs is a stretch of an UTG raise, KJs is just madness. Maybe you should move down for a while too?

[/ QUOTE ]

No it isn't.