Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2005, 11:56 AM

Default I suck on the button

I make far less money on the button than I do from the CO and considerably less than I do from the other positions. I only have a small sample size on my database, but I had similar stats on my old database.

I'm pretty solid and aggressive on the button. I raise quite a lot. My preflop stats for 2,122 hands of 3/6 6max are 407 hands played from the button, VP$IP is 31.20, and PFR is 24.32.

I generally raise with high cards like Q8 up, K8 up, and any ace, depending on how people have limped. I don't often raise with suited connectors, unless I'm opening the pot.

I bet nearly all flops if it's checked to me, and I'll bet a lot of turns even if I've missed. This is a habit picked up from playing in games where people would routinely call flops with absolutely nothing. I think that this excess bluffing might be my biggest problem.

I play pretty much exactly the same way postflop when I raise from the CO as when I raise from the button, so I assume that people are just giving my button raises less respect than my cutoff raises.

An interesting stat from pokertracker is that I play only slightly less hands from the CO, but my button Went to SD % is half of my CO %. Also, my button Won $ at SD % is considerably lower. It's only 34.62%. Does this mean I'm not folding enough on the button?

I'm not sure what can be determined from my stats, but my guess is that I get too stubborn post-flop after raising pre-flop on the button.
Old 11-22-2005, 12:01 PM

Default Re: I suck on the button

[ QUOTE ]
stats for 2,122 hands

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-22-2005, 12:10 PM

Yeah, but I had similar stats on my old database, which contained about 20,000 hands. Still not a huge sample, but I really believe I have a problem in the area.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
stats for 2,122 hands

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Authored by Catt

This is a dim-witted post;
The kind that we all hate the most;
A jumble of stats,
Or downswinging “Rats!”
Like a virus in search of a host.

If you are a good, winning player,
As opposed to a chip-spewing brayer,
Get back to the felt,
Play the hands that you’re dealt,
And soon you’ll be doing OKer.

Take my advice, please, you unthinking clod,
In the form of this good-natured prod,
This won’t help your game,
But will get you flamed,
Stop posting this crap! Where’s the Mod?

Post individual problem hands, then, and call down on the button more often.
Old 11-22-2005, 12:19 PM

How about this. Could I have checked the turn?

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is Button with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, SB calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, CO calls.

Flop: (11 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, CO checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls, CO folds.

Turn: (6.50 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 9.50 BB
Old 11-22-2005, 12:21 PM

Stop sucking on the button. Find a pacifier if you need one.
Old 11-22-2005, 12:24 PM

Without any read, I think I fold this pf.

I'm not sure about the turn, because your hh seems messed up. It says there are 3 players on the turn, but I only see one opponent. What happened to utg?
Old 11-22-2005, 12:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure about the turn, because your hh seems messed up. It says there are 3 players on the turn, but I only see one opponent. What happened to utg?

[/ QUOTE ]

Fold preflop? No way! I think UTG might be all in, in which case a turn check is a must.
Old 11-22-2005, 02:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There was actually only 2 players on the turn. UTG folded preflop, and then the CO folded on the flop. The turn was played between me and the SB.

I don't like folding KQ preflop against all but the tightest raisers, and I think I have to raise if I'm not going to fold.

I didn't have a read on the SB, but I felt that by betting the turn I might drive out A-high hands. If I checked I would have been conceding the pot, barring an Q or K on the river. I would never check this turn. Is that -EV?