Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2005, 06:13 PM

Default 2 hands: overpair and underpair

1st Hand: Haven't been at the table too long, maybe about 20-25 hands and don't really have a great read on anyone. I think my mistake was not betting the turn hard enough. But let me know what you think about the turn and river play.

Total number of players : 6
Seat 1: JyNohTnA ( $91)
Seat 2: TAXMASTER111 ( $187.82)
Seat 3: MrsRoboto_ ( $101.12)
Seat 4: marmour ( $99.17)
Seat 5: stickyickey ( $84.25)
Seat 6: slips28 ( $102.45)
stickyickey posts small blind (0.5)
slips28 posts big blind (1)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to slips28 [ J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ]
JyNohTnA folds.
TAXMASTER111 calls (1)
MrsRoboto_ calls (1)
marmour folds.
stickyickey folds.
slips28 raises (3) to 4
TAXMASTER111 calls (3)
MrsRoboto_ calls (3)
** Dealing Flop ** : [ 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ]
slips28 bets (5)
TAXMASTER111 folds.
MrsRoboto_ calls (5)
** Dealing Turn ** : [ T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ]
slips28 bets (10)
MrsRoboto_ calls (10)
** Dealing River ** : [ 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ]
slips28 checks.
MrsRoboto_ bets (30)

I assumed that the caller was playinng something like A9s or maybe even J9s or 98s so when the second 9 came out i checked it and she made a large bet. At this point i figured i couldnt beat her if she had slowplayed a 6, or had a nine. The only reasonable hand that i could beat was AT, but i figured she would have mucked that on the flop. I folded and she showed 55, she couldn't even beat the board.

The second hand involves an underpair.
Seat 1: Lejoueur555 ( $101.8)
Seat 2: TAXMASTER111 ( $188.42)
Seat 3: zeitgeist30 ( $97)
Seat 4: marmour ( $73.92)
Seat 6: slips28 ( $148.95)
slips28 posts small blind (0.5)
Lejoueur555 posts big blind (1)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to slips28 [ 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ]
TAXMASTER111 calls (1)
zeitgeist30 folds.
marmour folds.
slips28 raises (2.5) to 3
Lejoueur555 folds.
TAXMASTER111 calls (2)
** Dealing Flop ** : [ 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ]
slips28 bets (4)
TAXMASTER111 calls (4)
** Dealing Turn ** : [ 5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ]
slips28 bets (8)
TAXMASTER111 calls (8)
** Dealing River ** : [ 5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ]
slips28 bets (30)
TAXMASTER111 calls (30)

Taxmaster had been seeing about 80% of the flops and calling raises to anything. I had already doubled up AA against him when he bluffed a Q4 at me. Besides his preflop play he seemed pretty rational and was throwing a lot of hands away on the river. So when this flop came a bet 2/3 the pot and he called me. I was positive that he would call with a 6 or 7 as well so i didnt think i was necessarily losing. The turn card was favorable to me, with the straight draw, and i fired again. The river came and i made one last stab at the pot being pretty sure he would fold unless he had at least a queen. My PF raise had been consistent with the drawing hands i had made like KQs and JTs. I had just checked down an AK to the river against him like 5 hands ago so i dont think he thought he was catching an AK bluff but he called the 30 raise with JJ and took it down. Bad attempt, poorly executed, both?

Thanks for the input.
John