Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-07-2005, 01:26 AM

Default Re: i give up (no content)

[ QUOTE ]
Try to remember from where your profit came.

[/ QUOTE ]

TOP suggests other players mistakes is the main contribution to your profit. That if they could see your cards, they wouldn't pay you off. That's obvious, but far from the end all to why you win.

You find yourself at a table full of people making mistake after mistake and cracking you left and right. The "schooling" effect and you lose. It doesn't make sense.

You win for 3 reasons -
1 - You had the best hand and got the max out of it.
2 - You had the worst hand, outplayed him and won anyway.
3 - You folded and saved yourself bets, which is as good as winning bets. Every bet you win is off set by 1 you lose. Win more and lose less and you increase you're winnings.

So when you have AQ on a Q high board, the raiser pounding at you is probably well aware AQ is TPTK and chances are you're beat. Saving yourself money is as important as winning it. That has nothing to do with their mistakes.
Old 04-07-2005, 09:38 AM

I've got like 20K hands at 2/4 and just went through a 150 BB downswing that is best described as "101 ways to suck out." Not much you can do on the mental side, other than listen to the Mike Caro audio thread that someone posted a few weeks ago about how good players are supposed to be drawn out on.

One thing it did help me with was making sure that I wasn't giving folks the odds necessary to draw out on. Granted, I wasn't doing it in the majority of hands, but there were a few cases in which PFR raises w/ the original bettor to my left combined with a similar situation on the flop was turning the hand into a suck-out festival by creating a huge pot.

Bottom line -- I would still swear and start talking to myself as I went further into the hole, but felt like I learned an important SSHE concept that had previously eluded me. Just wish it hadn't been so expensive/painful a lesson.
Old 04-07-2005, 09:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Granted I'm not a losing player over my 32K hands at 2/4

[/ QUOTE ]

you should put this at the top of your post, so I could have stopped reading sooner.

seriously, whats the problem? I've been the victim of some sweet two outers and running flushes at 3/6 that have wiped out some good winning sessions...but stuff like that is WHY they were winning sessions. so, I don't let it bug me that much.
Old 04-07-2005, 05:48 PM

Default is anybody a statistician?

I honestly don't believe that these things could be happening. I would truely like to see what the chances of all these things happening in a row are? I just don't know how to think about these things in terms of probablility and what to consider when I do the calculations. I also don't know if it's fair to use the my last 50 VPIP hands or if I need to include them all.

I'm not whining or saying anything is rigged, I just want to know.