Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-2005, 01:43 PM

Default WSOP 50K Buy in

Am I alone in thinking the main event should be a 50K buy in. I was discussing with my friend and argued that it was 10K back in 1979. Not that i did the math just by simple inflation in my mind it should be 50K. I mean the WPT chapionship is 25K so why shouldnt the most prestigious event in the world cost more? In my mind it would be more exciting to watch 500 of the best players play for the title than have a 6000+ field shootout. If it were 50K there would be very little dead money as most people would have had to win multiple step tournaments to entry and wealthy people would think twice. Just my thoughts.
Old 07-06-2005, 01:47 PM

Default Re: WSOP 50K Buy in

My thinking is it should be raised to 25K
Old 07-06-2005, 02:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My thinking is it should be raised to 25K

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, still leaves room to get a decent number of sat winners in, but lifts the buy-in out of the gutter (as it were) of every run of the mill WSOP/WPT circuit event
Old 07-06-2005, 02:11 PM

oh its this thread again
Old 07-06-2005, 03:28 PM

i totaly agree and have thought abou tthis too.

to think that the most prestigious poker event in the world, the world championship event so to speak, is open to anyone who can muster up 10K (or $40 for multiple online sattelites winners)has become laughable.

didnt pokerstars alone supply over like 1150 entrants?

the fact that anyone without any kind of prerequisite can play for the world title is counter logical, and yet that very open for anyone strategy used to be one of the events beauty.

Back when 10k was a whole lot more valuable in the 70's, the field consisted of a majority of top poker players, and a few wealthy wannabes thrown in, which at that time actually added to the beauty of it.

Now its a few world class players thrown in with literally thousands of online qualifiers and newcomers, and the romance of it being open to anyone is gone. Its funny, cuz the average skill level of the players in this tourney is probably worse (much worse) than any WPT or PPT event, yet this is the world championship.

I think the only way to truly fix this thing is to raise the entry price to 100k. That way it would be truly limited to 1/10 of the online and sattelite qualifiers they have today, only truly wealthy people could afford to gamble on it, and only the truly best poker players in the world would be able to draw on a BR which could afford this.

And if you think 100k is way too much, its still less in todays dollars than 10k was in early 70's.

I guess though that harrahs would want to make as much $$ off this in entry fees so that would likely have to be about $8000 per head to amke up for the reduced entry field.
Old 07-06-2005, 03:30 PM

We need a tournament that actually has some possibility of legitimately determining a world champion. A $50,000 mixed-game tournament with 25-50 starting blinds and 3 hour levels should do it.

Right? Right?!
Old 07-06-2005, 03:41 PM

i don't think it's the money. take gus hansen, chris fergerson and daniel negraunu. daniel is a millionaire, and jesus is actually in debt, but much better in tournaments, gus is very heavily in the red because of ring games, where danny can sucseed, but pretty good in tournaments.

so, my suggestion is, that we have a number of prelimanary heats. say, 600 ten handed heats, top 2 from each table go through, and then another round of heats, where the top 3 go through, to weed out the crap players, so we have only 600 of the best going through to the main event. i think this would eliminate the need for satellites, because this is what satellites do in themselves, and the buy in would be cheap. so we limit is to 6000 playes at the start (what we have already) and end up with 600 players to battle it out.
Old 07-06-2005, 03:41 PM

I don't give a damn what the buy-in is, but the main event should be changed to pot-limit hold em
Old 07-06-2005, 03:44 PM

I couldn't agree more.
Old 07-06-2005, 03:44 PM

No way it would take 10 years PLH dont have antes there for with a field of 6600 it would take 10-20 years to finish with blinds increasing every hour as they do at the WSOP. IT would never work. i stick to it. Make it 50K if you cant stake yoruslef or get staked you prob shouldnt be in it. Anyone wanna stake me 50......