Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-2005, 01:39 AM

Default Problems with Dell 2001FP ebay purchase

I posted about a month ago that I was having problems with an ebay seller that I purchased a Dell 2001FP from, and those problems are continuing. It is now about 40 days from the time I paid for the monitor and I have not received it. I was not getting any response from the seller at all except one email that said "oh you haven't received it yet? I will look into it don't worry man". So yesterday I filed a claim with paypal to try to get my money back and just buy from someone else. He then finally sent me an email. Here it is:

"first off man you are the one who said send it the cheapest way I did what
you asked and also I did ship it like that. I have shipped many things through usps and never had a problem. I was away
for the 4th it is a holiday here. I sent your lcd with the avail money you
sent me I dident charge extra for shipping and you file a paypal claim on
me.... I am no out my lcd and the 550 you paid for it. And you call me the
worst seller on ebay OMFG thats the pot calling the kettel black.
I am working on how to get your lcd back or to you and now you have
completly screwed me I was going to even ship another one to you at my cost
witch would tech make me out even more then this just to keep you happy but
usps said I should wait 30 days to make sure the first one will be on its
way back to me. Dont blame me blame your coustems dept as there the ones
causing this holdup.
you can either 1 cansel the paypal dispute and let me fix this (you see my
feedback and I have sold over 55 of these with good feedback the only prob I
had was when I was ill and couldent ship lastyear)
or 2 let paypal take 30+ days to not get you your money back the account is
negitive 511.00 dollars so paypal will only refund your 40 bux. I do not
want to have to do that but since you filed against me thats the only 2
options I have left as I am the one who is out the money and lcd here.

Sorry this happened I did not mean for it to
KrAwL"

Can someone tell me what he is talking about in bold? Can paypal only get you your money back if it is still in his account? The first part of his email is referring to the fact that I asked him to use UPS Ground, and he instead sent it with USPS to save himself money. So, should I believe him? Should I continue to file the claim or cancel and wait for him to resolve this mess?

CF
Old 07-06-2005, 01:48 AM

Default Re: Problems with Dell 2001FP ebay purchase

When I had to resind(sp?) a payment through paypal I made a 600 dollar payment but when I got the refund done the seller on ebay which i bought from only had $125 in his paypal account so I got refunded 125 dollars and he opened a new account and I got screwed out of the last 475. I think what he is saying is he has no money in his paypal account and the max refund while having nothing in an account is 40 dollars. SO I think he is just holding you hostage. Basically. At least thats my understanding of it.

I'm sure since he now knows you are looking to get a refund his account will be empty for sure so it might just be better to try and work it out with him.

And yes paypal will only take what is left in the account. At least that was the case in my 1 dealing with them.
Old 07-06-2005, 02:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
When I had to resind(sp?) a payment through paypal I made a 600 dollar payment but when I got the refund done the seller on ebay which i bought from only had $125 in his paypal account so I got refunded 125 dollars and he opened a new account and I got screwed out of the last 475. I think what he is saying is he has no money in his paypal account and the max refund while having nothing in an account is 40 dollars. SO I think he is just holding you hostage. Basically. At least thats my understanding of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

How can this be? So there is nothing protecting you from a seller who doesn't send you your item? What is stopping someone from putting up a fake auction page and pretending to ship something to you, and just withdrawing all of your money and telling you that it was lost in the mail?
Old 07-06-2005, 02:11 AM

Can you pm me a link to the aucton? I will have a look at it.

Actually you should post it as a warning to everyone.
Old 07-06-2005, 02:12 AM

Has he sent you a tracking number for the shipment or any verification that it was sent? Even through USPS he should have some documentation for insurance, etc.

I assume you've passed this point but it's an obvious first move so I thought I'd mention it. If he can prove it's been sent with documents (containing his intiating adress and your recieving adress) then I'd take it up with USPS first.

From the email, the guy sounds like a total loser. I would be worried too.

cbf
Old 07-06-2005, 02:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]

the account is negitive 511.00 dollars so paypal will only refund your 40 bux.... I am the one who is out the money and lcd here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like he's only out $40 and (maybe) a 2001FP. He's got your $510.

What a jackass.
Old 07-06-2005, 02:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Has he sent you a tracking number for the shipment or any verification that it was sent? Even through USPS he should have some documentation for insurance, etc.

I assume you've passed this point but it's an obvious first move so I thought I'd mention it. If he can prove it's been sent with documents (containing his intiating adress and your recieving adress) then I'd take it up with USPS first.

From the email, the guy sounds like a total loser. I would be worried too.

cbf

[/ QUOTE ]

I have asked him for this and he has not provided it. He barely replied to any of my emails, and when he did he did not provide any of the information I asked for, or answer the questions I wanted answered. Needless to say I picked the absolute worst person to buy a monitor from.
Old 07-06-2005, 02:30 AM

URLs that may help:
Buyer protection policy... follow these steps

More ebay protection policies

[ QUOTE ]
Step 5: Closing the dispute
The buyer can close the dispute if the seller does not respond within 10 days, or anytime after the seller responds and at least 30 days have passed since the item listing closed. The buyer has two options to close the dispute:

* My concerns have been resolved–with this option, no action is taken against the seller's account and the buyer is not eligible to file a claim under eBay's Standard Purchase Protection Program. A closed dispute cannot be re-opened, so the buyer must be sure that they are entirely satisfied before they decide to close a dispute using this option. For example, if the buyer is offered a full refund by the seller, they should not close the dispute until they have received the full refund.
* I feel I have no other option but to escalate this to a claim–when the buyer selects this option, eBay's Trust and Safety team is immediately alerted about the transaction. If warranted, the seller's account may be restricted or suspended. If the buyer closes the dispute with this option and the transaction is eligible, then the buyer may file a claim under eBay's Standard Purchase Protection Program, where they may be reimbursed up to $200 (minus a $25 processing cost).Additionally, if the eBay Trust and Safety team believes further action is warranted, the seller's account may be restricted or suspended.

The buyer can close the dispute at any time if their concerns are resolved. The buyer can escalate to a claim if 30 days have passed since the transaction date and either the seller has responded at least once or has not responded with 10 days of the dispute being opened.

A dispute can only be open for 90 days after the transaction date. If the buyer has not closed the dispute within 90 days, it will be automatically closed. When a dispute is automatically closed, the seller is not reported to eBay's Trust and Safety team and the buyer is not eligible to submit a claim under eBay's Standard Purchase Protection Program.

[/ QUOTE ]

Final Steps, ebay protection policy

PayPal stuff

Paypal protection T&Cs... looks like you should be good

Link to file a claim on paypal

Listing itself

Actual auction

~Justin
Old 07-06-2005, 02:34 AM

it was a big mistake purchasing from this guy in the first place. he doesnt have enough feedback and purchasing from a user like this is risky business. the guy has 5 negatives. youre an idiot if you think there isnt a chance he will rip you off.

this guy is lying to you. first of all, he cant spell for [censored]. he speaks like a 5 year old. you clearly got ripped off by some kid. dont believe what he says. try to get the money back no matter what it takes, although you are probably screwed here.

paypal might refund your money but its unlikely. when you are asking for packages to be shipped always ask that they send it with delivery confirmation as that is what i do. it costs like 35cents to add delivery confirmation to the package and it guarantees that it arrives at your doorstep. if you asked for delivery confirmation and the seller agreed and didnt send it through this method, paypal is far more likely to give you your money back and if they dont they have even worse customer service that i have thought in the past.

the seller's bold comments basically mean that you took over 30 days to file this complaint (which was stupid to begin with). paypal will be more inclined to ignore your complaint due to the stretch of time. the seller currently has $40 in his account (broke people usually are more inclined to steal) and therefore hes saying that paypal wont be able to refund your money as if they comply to your complaint he will just bail and create a new account without redepositing. however, this isnt all true. if paypal has access to bank account information i believe they have the right to EFT the money from his bank and send it to you without the sellers permission. if the guy doesnt have money in the bank then you are just screwed altogether, but at least you may be able to make it difficult for him to sell on ebay again.
Old 07-06-2005, 02:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Can you pm me a link to the aucton? I will have a look at it.

Actually you should post it as a warning to everyone.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...%3AIT&rd=1

I am kind of embarrassed to post it because the sellers feedback was pretty shaky and I know I should have been more wary. He gave me a good deal on shipping to Canada and he told me he inspected the monitor and there weren't any dead pixels at all (which was a concern), so I decided to go with him. It's partly my fault for not being more careful choosing a seller.