Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2005, 10:26 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters
Default Re: Greatest Video Game... nominations first...

[ QUOTE ]
This is indicative of the quality of your understanding of this matter, I'm afraid.

[/ QUOTE ]

by the way, i think that's the best 'owned' graphic ever
Old 12-06-2005, 10:30 PM

except for the facts that he's wrong, did not adress my question, and pulled that completely out of the context of the "online gaming discussion" we were having, then up I was pwnz0r3d.

I realize that you're telling me that I am naively saying that Doom had no impact because it cant be played online in the same scale as CS. Im not, Im just answering your proposition that CS wasnt an online revolution.

The impact of Doom was felt everywhere, from its parent-scaring violence to its new graphics, and to some degree its music. It immersed players in a hellish world, albeit with a crap backstory, and had an insane pace of action, memorable enemies, and lots of big ol' guns.

I understand why doom was so big. Now answer my damn questions, please. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 12-06-2005, 10:42 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

i assumed he was discarding it based on your apparent belief that hundreds of thousands of people played doom online before, much less now
Old 12-06-2005, 10:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i assumed he was discarding it based on your apparent belief that hundreds of thousands of people played doom online before, much less now

[/ QUOTE ]

no, I was saying that hundreds of thousands o people play CS online still, and asking if that was true of doom.

wow, if that's how he took it, he must think Im an idiot.

oh well, open the mouth and remove all doubt.
Old 12-06-2005, 10:46 PM

i was only skimming the thread and saw the quote out of context. i looked closer now and based on what he's been discussing, i doubt that was the point he was making. but rather that the best may not necessarily be the most popular, and that popularity alone doesn't a metric make. if we went by that standard, celine dion would be one of the greatest artists of all time, etc.
Old 12-06-2005, 11:04 PM

I was saying that you clearly can't take how much a very old game is played online now, especially in relation to a much more current game, as a reasonable measure of either its worth or of its popularity or pervasiveness in the culture when it came out. That's just not playing fair. This is clearly an exceptionally lousy criteria by which to judge an old game.

First of all, it's old. Not many people play dozen year old games online. 'nuff said.

And the online community was much smaller then, and was almost entirely on small BBS systems for most people. This was back in the days of DOS, before most people had even heard of the internet. Yet we still played online, and plenty, through special front-ends that had to be written for every game, or sometimes peer to peer.

But the ways of doing it were very intimidating to most people. DOS was a bitch. You were pretty much on your own if you couldn't get front-ends to work. Gaming was not mainstream. Computers were not anywhere near as cheap as they are now.

DOOM was huge in the scene there was, limited, costly, and a bit difficult as the scene there was was.

That nobody plays it online now means zip and says not a thing about it.
Old 12-06-2005, 11:06 PM

Civilization III
Alpha Centauri
Rise of Nations
Old 12-06-2005, 11:20 PM

Rescue at Rigel (Commodore PET)
Blades of Steel (NES) - where winning a fight puts the loser in the penalty box!
Time Pilot (Arcade)
Joust (Arcade)
Spy Hunter (Arcade)
Kung-Fu Master (Arcade)
Karate Champ (Arcade)
Ghosts'n'Goblins (Arcade)
Gauntlet (Arcade)
Old 12-06-2005, 11:30 PM

GOD you're ignoring my point!!!!!

Doom's freaking impact was not online. I get it, I know it, I understand it. Its impact is felt in myriad different ways. No the online thing wasnt as prevalent when doom hit... see this is part of the impact of CS.

I dont know, I could go on about this forever, but you wont concede, and its hard to make good points in an online forum. Unless you honestly care about this enough to continue this on AIM or something, I will just agree to disagree.
Old 12-06-2005, 11:36 PM

If you don't want the online aspect of DOOM to be a subject of discussion or comparison, I would suggest not bringing it up. Especially as a subject for either. Ball was in your court on that one and came from your side. Repeatedly.

You're right, this is going nowhere, and it's time to just agree to disagree.