Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2005, 10:20 AM

Default Call, call, call... Can this be right?

Hi all, I hope to get some feedback on this hand. I have been reading the forum for some time, but just decided to participate. As I figure you're not looking for a bio here, I'll get to the point now.

I figured UTG+1 had a fairly wide range of raising hands, but had too little info to go by to judge his capping standards. I'd think AA-TT, AKo, AKs-AQs but that's just a guess.

Paradise Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (8 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 caps</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (9.50 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, Hero calls.

He caps pf &amp; leads flop. ok maybe I should raise him here to find out, but I felt he was tricky enough that I couldn't gain reliable info by raising. I wan't him to bluff me all the way if I'm ahead.

Turn: (5.75 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

River: (7.75 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: 9.75 BB
Old 06-09-2005, 10:24 AM

Default Re: Call, call, call... Can this be right?

Seems like a straightforward application of WA/WB. I like it.
Old 06-09-2005, 10:27 AM

This is fine.
Old 06-09-2005, 10:31 AM

I think your line in this hand is fine. You're either way ahead or way behind, there's good reason to worry about being way behind, and, if you raise the flop or turn, Villain will probably slow down with hands you're beating anyway.
Old 06-09-2005, 10:53 AM

Would a raise on the flop be considered incorrect? If so, why?
Old 06-09-2005, 10:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Would a raise on the flop be considered incorrect? If so, why?

[/ QUOTE ]

Raising the flop is bad, because one of two things will happen:

Case 1: You currently have villain beat. In this case, he is likely drawing to very few outs (think of a hand like 99, for example), and he will either fold immediately or fold to your turn bet if you raise the flop. In this case, you've failed to extract the maximum from your opponent when you are way ahead.

Case 2: He currently has you beaten (think QJ). In this case, you are the one drawing to very few outs, and villain knows it. If you raise the flop, you will get 3-bet and lead into on the turn and river. In this case, your flop raise is just spewing when you are way behind.

In these sorts of cases, the standard line is either to just call all the way down as long as villain keeps leading, with the possibility of raising the river if the board is to your liking. This gets the maximum when you're ahead while losing the least when you're behind.
Old 06-09-2005, 11:00 AM

This may sound corny, but it depends on how the night is going for me. Have you ever had one of those nights that you just run really cold or really hot? If I'm having an off night, I play it the same way. If I'm having a good night, I raise the flop to see his reaction. A 3-bet from him and I play the turn and river the same.
Old 06-09-2005, 11:02 AM

I think I would raise the turn. I'm not happy if he 3-bets but I think you have the best hand here more often than not and I want to get money in the pot. You can probably only put villain on 3 hands that beat you, and AQs isnt that great of a hand to cap with out of position. It's entirely possible that he has AA, but he would be leading out wtih JJ and 1010 as well here and he would continue to do so if you showed no strength post flop. I think your line is decent, but I think I would raise the turn here.
Old 06-09-2005, 11:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If I'm having a good night, I raise the flop to see his reaction. A 3-bet from him and I play the turn and river the same.

[/ QUOTE ]

What if villain's reaction is to fold to your flop raise? Will you happy withe your results on this hand?
Old 06-09-2005, 11:06 AM

Thanx. Your argument will definately change the way I play a hand like that.