Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-11-2005, 11:24 AM

Default How to start multi-tabling?

Lots of questions; I appreciate feedback on whichever aspects you'd like to comment on.

I've been playing a few months, mostly Party $0.50/$1. I have PokerTracker and Gametime+. I only have about 3300 hands; I know - a very low sample size. After 2,000 hands, I realized I wasn't being aggressive enough after the flop, and made the adjustments. My results have been good, and I've had a great run the last few weeks (+250 BB or so).

I've only been single tabling so far. I'd like to stay at $0.50/$1 until I have more statistical confidence that I am a winning player. I could consider trying 2 tables.

With 1 table, to keep concentration and get a better read on my opponents, I follow the action after I fold. I try to forecast who will bet, and what kind of hands they show down. (I also root for bets / calls so each hand will get raked! Do you guys do that? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] ) With multitabling, especially 3-4, you must not be able to really follow, and see how the players play, except for what Gametime+ tells you... How do you cope with that?

Should I just jump into it 2 tables for real money, or should I practice 2-tabling with play money first, just to get used to the time issues?

Do you spread the windows out so you can see them all, or do you switch (Alt+Tab?)?

With PokerTracker importing the hands, I occasionally get my PC slowing up so I can't click on a Check/Bet/Fold. When it happens, it frees up in a few seconds. It's a tiny bit stressful when this happens. Would the added pressure of having to act on 2 tables at the same time make this worse? Is it time for me to upgrade my PC?

And if so, what size monitor should I get to comfortably multi-table? When looking at systems to buy, should I start with the "game" type computers (with great graphics cards...)?

Thanks!

-Tom
Old 05-11-2005, 11:32 AM

Default Re: How to start multi-tabling?

Really the only requirement I would have as far as your computer goes is that long term you would want to be able to fit 4 tables on your monitor without any overlap. If gt+ is interfering with your play it might be a good thing to upgrade as well, but not if it's just an annoyance.

The best way to learn how to multi-table imho is to just do it. I'm not a big fan of play money tables but if you want to get an idea of what it would be like you can certainly take this approach. I would just launch 2, you'll find that most hands you'll be sitting out of at least one of the hands if not both.

D5
Old 05-11-2005, 11:34 AM

Try it for like 30 minutes, see if you like it. No need to overthink it. I promise your bankroll won't plummet in that time. It helps to have a big enough screen/monitor so you can see all of your tables at once (and avoid any misclick mistakes).
Old 05-11-2005, 11:36 AM

Just jump on in. No need to think too hard about it.
Old 05-11-2005, 11:36 AM

1. Open another table (real money) and see how you go with 2. You can always go back to 1 if you find it too much, but I'm sure you will have plenty of time to keep up.
2. It's better if you can see all your tables at once, but if you're not able to do that try tabbing between them, see how you go. If you're having problems, think about getting a bigger monitor.
3. You don't have to keep PT open whilst you're playing. Just play your hands and then import them once you've finished. I wouldn't bother upgrading until you've made enough to buy your new PC, as a present to yourself, it's certainly not a neccessity.
4. You need a monitor capable of displaying 1600 x 1200 to play 4 tables at Party with no overlap. Your best bang per buck here would be a 21" CRT, you can get them really cheap. You don't need a high spec PC to play poker, a very basic graphics card will suffice. (Literally the lowest spec they sell, 16mb or whatever).

Hope this helps.
Old 05-11-2005, 11:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It's a tiny bit stressful when this happens. Would the added pressure of having to act on 2 tables at the same time make this worse? Is it time for me to upgrade my PC?

And if so, what size monitor should I get to comfortably multi-table? When looking at systems to buy, should I start with the "game" type computers (with great graphics cards...)?

[/ QUOTE ]

More memory will likely fix this. You clearly do not need a "gaming" computer or graphics card. A monitor with a 1600x1200 resolution will show 4 tables with little or no overlapping (depending on the site).

As for following the action, you are right, you will not be able to do it much at 4-tabling or higher. I once had a session where I was playing heads up on one table and full tables on two others. After I quit I realized that I had no memory at all of any hand played at the two full tables, even ones I was involved in. (That was a little scary, but looking back at the hands, I played them fine.)

Start with two tables and work your way up. (I wouldn't mess around with play money tables, but you might consider playing a level lower than normal.) If you are unhappy with your ability to play the way you want, go back down. (Useful advise, I know, but there it is.)
Old 05-11-2005, 11:41 AM

As others have mentioned, a monitor with enough real estate to avoide misclick errors is a plus.
Old 05-11-2005, 11:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
3. You don't have to keep PT open whilst you're playing. Just play your hands and then import them once you've finished.

[/ QUOTE ]
I keep PT open so it can import the hands along the way, so that GT+ has updated stats. I find that very helpful, and don't want to give that up now.

-Tom
Old 05-11-2005, 11:52 AM

I use to run 12 2/4 tables. It just take time. Multitabling is a skill just like hand reading. It takes time and practice. Moving down in limits to practice is a good idea. If you intend to play 2 tables, play 200 hands of 3 tabling. Then 2 tabling seems easy. Rinse and repeat.

Krishan
Old 05-11-2005, 11:53 AM

Default Re: How to start multi-tabling? (PC lag issue)

[ QUOTE ]
With PokerTracker importing the hands, I occasionally get my PC slowing up so I can't click on a Check/Bet/Fold. When it happens, it frees up in a few seconds. It's a tiny bit stressful when this happens. Would the added pressure of having to act on 2 tables at the same time make this worse? Is it time for me to upgrade my PC?

[/ QUOTE ]

So, everybody's already answered the base question, but I think I can help you with this. Turn off animations in Party.

I run PT and PV, importing hands as I go so the stats on my opps are up-to-date (I 4-table, so these are the only reads I have). PV seems to be particularly resource-hungry, and slows the machine down a little, occassionally (the party-skin software isn't exactly efficient, either). Turning off the card/chip animations resolves all the problems, tho.

And, if you're asking if you should upgrade your PC, the answer is clearly yes. But don't sink a whole lot into a high-end graphics card, just for poker...the skins software won't utilize the improved hardware, it'll just run through the windows graphics generator, anyway.