Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2005, 07:43 PM

Default Passive play with position and low pair

Party Poker $25 NL 6-max (2-players)

Villain (SB): $25
Hero (BB): $25

Villain is the type of player that likes to run-over others. He's had no problem opening to $2 heads-up and making large continuation bets. I limp fold to him a couple times from the SB to fuel the fire.

Pre-flop: Villain raises to $1. I view this as unusual, and likely a sign of strength, since his normal open is $2. I have K4o and decide to call. (If you want to advocate a fold heads-up against this type of opponent, which is perfectly reasonable, then please provide a minimum calling hand).

Flop ($2): Jh7h4d
Villain bets $2. I think there's a chance he actually hit with JT. I call. Other lines/moves here? Have I just bungled the pot with poor pre-flop play?

Turn (~$6): 5d
Villain $5. What's your move? What do you think villain thinks you have?

Please reply up to this point. I'll reply to myself with the turn and then the river play.
Old 09-08-2005, 07:52 PM

Default Re: Passive play with position and low pair

Against LAGS, I like to pick my spots carefully, with position. I think you could have picked a better spot than K4o IMO, and you should have folded PF. You even said his bet signaled strength.

Starting PF requirements can go all the way down to K10s,QJ,etc., especially if he has been raising alot PF. Has the villan shown down many hands? How frequent are his PF bets?

If your read is so strong as to put him on no pair/no draw, then by all means, call. But can you really call a pot-sized bet on the river? Are you that sure your bottom pair is good? I think you can pick a better spot than this.
Old 09-08-2005, 07:58 PM

Default Passive play with position and low pair: The Turn

Turn (~$6): 5d
Villain leads for $5.

This pot-sized turn bet strikes me as rather large for this type of player.

Given my opinion that his $1 pre-flop raise meant actual strength, I put him on a big-ace. Also, I inferred that this player is one of the typical "opposite" players who bets large with mediocre holdings to induce folds and small with strong holdings to induce calls. His line here looks to me like he thinks I'm on a flush draw and is trying to price me out. If I call, I'm expecting him to slow-down on the river after being called for 2 streets.

Any reasonable raise seems pot-committing so I view my options at this point as (1) Fold - I misread the hand and the player (2) Call - re-evaluate on the river (3) Raise all-in - probably take the pot down, but I still have some doubt about his likely holding - he may be 'bluffing' with 9's or something.

I call. I'm still thinking this guy is on air. I feel he'd be betting less with AJ or stronger, and he wants to charge the perceived flush draw.

How about this reasoning/logic? It makes my play on the river much more difficult. Even if I think he may have air now, he could easily improve on the end without my knowledge and it will cost me my stack. Also, what kind of a bet will he call if he was bluffing and checks it to me?

River (~16): Td
Villain open pushes for $18.

Not sure I like what I've done with this hand. Do you call or fold this?
Old 09-08-2005, 08:05 PM

Default Results: The River

River (~$16): Td
Villain open pushes, I may have got the bet-size wrong in the last post, I think was only $17 or so, but the point is he pushes.

The likely flush draw missed, and I feel a straight bets for value. Especially since I view this player as an "opposite" player, I feel that this bet simply confirms my read. Incidentally, he open pushed immediately.

I thought for a second, and was about to fold - largely because he didn't behave as I expected on the river. I thought more about the hand and decided that he just really wanted a fold. So, I called. He flips over AQo.

I breathed a huge sigh of relief and knew that I was about to start getting some BIG action. In the next couple of hands, I'm on the button with Aces. He pops me to $1, I pause and re-raise to $3, he decides he's had enough of this crap and pushes with his KQc. I call and take his stack, then he leaves the table.

Thanks for your thoughts!
Old 09-09-2005, 01:50 AM

Default Re: Passive play with position and low pair

It took a lot of guts..glad it turned out good, but if you want my advice on how I'd play it, I'd fold preflop and pick a better spot against a lag. If I called preflop, I'd give it up when he pots it again ont eh turn. I don't like sticking my whole stack in with 5th pair even if I do think they're bluffing.

EDIT: How'd you know he wasn't bluffing with a hand that beat yours?