Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Software
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-2005, 09:34 PM

Default How strong is Wilson Turbo computer players?

Anyone has experience with Wilson turbo holdem computer players? Are they (expecially the advisors) very good or easily beatable?
Old 10-03-2005, 10:40 PM

Default Re: How strong is Wilson Turbo computer players?

You can download a demo of Wilson's program and see for yourself. I downloaded it once when I was an absolute beginner and thought it was all right at the time, but I would probably not agree with myself now that I am more experienced.

In my opinion though, the $90 would be put to better use "practicing" against real players online and buying books that will help your game.
Old 10-04-2005, 01:28 PM

I have used TTH for a couple of years. In my opinion, the strong points are not the quality of opponents but the ability to configure for specialized practice.

For example, I am currently practicing reading hands. I have configured TTH to play starting hands only and have selected a couple of groups of players with a mix of tight and loose that is close to what I play against. I play a hand, concentrating on reading opponents only and don't worry about winning or loosing, just reading. At the end you can peek at all hands to see if you were correct. I even do this in one window while playing 2 or 3 5/10 tables at Party. Last month, I froze the button on the blinds and practiced blind play only.

Don't expect TTH to be like real play against real opponents but it is a good practice tool.
Old 10-04-2005, 04:59 PM

I'll echo the value in practicing against certain types of opponents.

I will say, the challenges against the advisor are still damn hard, particularly when I try short handed. I tend to beat it, but not by much and not more than 60% of the time. I can safely say TTH took me from losing to winning. Improving on that to become competent has been a journey of more steps (TTH, ToP, lots of play time, posts here, etc).
Old 10-05-2005, 11:26 PM

Does anyone see any value in using it to determine default plays from a monto carlo sim perspective?

Most hand calculators assume everyone plays to showdown.

It seems to me that having the ability to try a given play against different combinations of realistic player strategies would be a good tool for playing by expectation.

Thus TTH should be an improvement over the typical hand calculator, true?
Old 10-06-2005, 02:55 AM

I think the LIMIT players in TTH are very strong. When you get into the TTH Tourney game (a separate product, I think it is $39.95) it has no-limit and they are not very strong at all IMHO. But hey, its tough to make good computerized NL players, which is why my bot only makes 2 BBs per hour [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]