Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-2004, 09:51 AM

Default Please Respond For a New B

I have been playing hold 'em for a while and recently have read a few books on the subject and have become fairly decent. However, I regularly play in a shorthanded home game NL Touranment style (sometimes heads up)--we start with 300 blinds at 2-4--which to my chegrin do not increase. My competition play basically what he feels--no concept of pot odds or hand rankings (be bets about the same no matter what the pot may be) never raises before the flops and almost never bluffs--but will bet on a draw or with two high cards. I cannot beat him. It is difficult to tell what he has because he will call a raise before the flop no matter what he has if he is "feeling the hand".

He does tend to get extremely lucky e.g. the other day he backdoored a flush against my two pair (he was calling with bottom pair then on the next hand hit a boat on the river I had three aces with top kicker), but he has beaten me too many times?

Any suggestions?
Old 07-07-2004, 11:07 AM

Default Re: Please Respond For a New B

I'm confused on the format. Is it NL? If so, you should be able to put enough pressure on him that he can't keep calling with bottom pair.

It sounds like this guy is sort of lucking into a semi-optimal shorthanded strategy (always betting). You might try reading or re-reading the shorthanded section of HEPFAP -- it gives some strategies on how to counter this. Best of luck.
Old 07-07-2004, 02:03 PM

Default Re: Please Respond For a New B

[ QUOTE ]
He does tend to get extremely lucky...

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I just spotted a leak.

/mc