Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2005, 01:14 PM

Default Re: My Take On [censored]\'s Actions

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Darwin's theory of natural selection dictates that the "weak" threads will quickly fall of the front page and lose out to the stronger threads. So would someone, please tell me why you are all wasting SOOO much time trying to "fix" OOT? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]for some reason darwins theory currently does not apply here.

[/ QUOTE ]

"strong" vs. "weak" in this case are based solely on the participants' opinions, as opposed to actual physical ability. If it's on the front page, people are reading it - plain and simple.
Old 10-13-2005, 01:17 PM

Mainly, it's a volume issue. If a lot of people post crap threads, then good threads get pushed off the front page and potentially don't get read or die away prematurely.
Old 10-13-2005, 01:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Darwin's theory of natural selection dictates that the "weak" threads will quickly fall of the front page and lose out to the stronger threads. So would someone, please tell me why you are all wasting SOOO much time trying to "fix" OOT? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]for some reason darwins theory currently does not apply here.

[/ QUOTE ]

"strong" vs. "weak" in this case are based solely on the participants' opinions, as opposed to actual physical ability. If it's on the front page, people are reading it - plain and simple.

[/ QUOTE ]the fact that people are responding to a thread does mean it is a good one.
Old 10-13-2005, 01:23 PM

what about to the people responding???

and for the record, there are now 4 threads on the front page about "cleaning up" OOT. how is this a good thing?

by the way, do you guys realize you can make the "first" page as big as you'd like? just change the "total parent posts to show per page" in your display preferences to whatever you'd like. mine is set to 40.
Old 10-13-2005, 01:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
by the way, do you guys realize you can make the "first" page as big as you'd like? just change the "total parent posts to show per page" in your display preferences to whatever you'd like. mine is set to 40.

[/ QUOTE ]

First time I've seen anybody mention this. Looks like the "secret" is out... [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 10-13-2005, 04:11 PM

Seems like we go through this "clean up OOT" phase about twice a year. Usually happens around the beginning of college semesters for some reason... coincidence?

Meh... it'll pass.
Old 10-13-2005, 05:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The basic problem is that OOT has turned into a nasty place where everyone is a wanna-be bully looking for a weak target. When someone makes a crappy post, a bunch of people jump all over it because it gives them a chance to insult another poster and make themself feel stronger. Just look at this thread - half of the posts are somewhere between condescending and downright vicious.

Everybody is too wrapped in all the hating to have any interesting discussions. That's why the [censored]'s mass-culling isn't going to fix anything - it's like trying to bring about peace by starting a war.
Old 10-13-2005, 05:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The basic problem is that OOT has turned into a nasty place where everyone is a wanna-be bully looking for a weak target. When someone makes a crappy post, a bunch of people jump all over it because it gives them a chance to insult another poster and make themself feel stronger. Just look at this thread - half of the posts are somewhere between condescending and downright vicious.

Everybody is too wrapped in all the hating to have any interesting discussions. That's why the [censored]'s mass-culling isn't going to fix anything - it's like trying to bring about peace by starting a war.

[/ QUOTE ]

Goober - those are some very nice sentiments you're making. But as an infrequent poster on OOT, or any internet forum, even I can see that it's fairly ludicrous sentiment (unless you're being sarcastic and I'm totally missing it). Are there really these type of "power" dynamics occuring between weak and "strong" posters - who don't know each other at all?

Isn't 2+2 / OOT a public forum with anonymous users contributing? If that's the case - how is anyone being impacted by a condescending post, a ridiculing post, or a "nasty" one? Unless they are friends with the poster, like, you know, in the real life, why is there any problem here?

Unless you are saying that nasty / condescending posts have no value on public forums such as these. And I say - clearly they do as they serve as an important policing function for the forum. For example - I just posted somethign stupid this morning. Someone pointed out that it was dumb. It was! I'm OK with that...
Old 10-13-2005, 07:20 PM

All I really meant was that people are more interested in pointing out why posts are dumb than just ignoring them. Then we get these retarded little OOT wars with people picking sides and flaming each other and then the whole forum is just people pointing at each other and saying "you ruined this forum!" I don't think that mass banning is going to fix this because someone is always going to be around to complain about who got banned and why, and thus start the whole thing over again.

I agree with you that no one should have any emotional investment in what strangers say about them on the internet. The level of vitriol that I see here sometimes, though, makes me think that maybe this isn't always the case.
Old 10-13-2005, 07:53 PM

I think that when people are rude to each other on this forum it's hilarious and instructive - it's like tough love. Setting a standard of forum excellence.

I can't imagine the people being vitriolic are actually taking this too seriously - seems like it's in good fun.

If there's actual antipathy between posters they must know each other outside of this forum and use it as a vehicle to upset one another, which, to your point Goober, seems unfair to the forum as a whole.

Oh - and if one is filled with lots of anger at a poster they know only inside the forum - I mean - couldn't that person be some bored 15-year old kid with alot of time on his hands looking to piss people off?